You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn dial pad sounds off, while still having notification sounds on?

Just recently my iPhone 13 started making DTMF tones when I key in numbers on the phone dial pad. Lowering the volume with the side buttons only reduces the volume somewhat but doesn't turn it off.

Settings>Sound&Haptics>Keyboard clicks>Off doesn't turn the tones off.

What else can I try?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 2:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 2:37 AM

TammyW_03. No, that is not how it works. This is a legacy from the old POTS world, and it is the telephone that generates DTMF. The issue with the iPhone having a dial pad sound is simply the iOS software playing those sounds to the speaker when buttons are pressed, even though there is no “line” open to the carrier. Hence iPhone has the switch on the lhs to turn off all sounds. What I want to only turn off the dial sounds in the speaker, prior to the call has been made.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2022 2:37 AM in response to rickard4711

TammyW_03. No, that is not how it works. This is a legacy from the old POTS world, and it is the telephone that generates DTMF. The issue with the iPhone having a dial pad sound is simply the iOS software playing those sounds to the speaker when buttons are pressed, even though there is no “line” open to the carrier. Hence iPhone has the switch on the lhs to turn off all sounds. What I want to only turn off the dial sounds in the speaker, prior to the call has been made.

Jul 6, 2022 7:16 AM in response to rickard4711

rickard4711,

In short, turning on Silent mode will stop the sounds from playing when dialing using the keypad in the Phone app. How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode - Apple Support

"Use Silent mode

To put your iPhone in Silent mode, move the switch so that orange is showing. "

Additionally, there's another helpful article here: Use the side, Home, and other buttons on your iPhone

While the feature can't be disabled outside of Silent mode, you can leave feature feedback here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Best!

How do I turn dial pad sounds off, while still having notification sounds on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.