You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails in folders have disappeared

Hi All,

For some reason today I had issues with my iMac and I noticed that I could not see emails saved in my inbox folders. Does anyone know why this would be? My email is still functioning normally receiving and sending so I’m not sure what’s happened or how to get them back?

Any help gratefully received!

Thank you!

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 2:03 PM

Emails are typically "On my Mac" or server based.

POP is always On my Mac.

Go to Finder

Go menu -> Go to Folder

~/Library

Search for Mail and Mail Downloads folder, and click once on each, and select Get Info from the file menu.

If the size is in the several hundred MB or GB the folders are at least intact for On My Mac.

POP based emailed email accounts where the size is only a few MB mean you may have logged in a different account on the Mac, or you have corruption on your Mac that needs to be addressed to find out why the email folder is so small.

Otherwise, IMAP and Exchange (Microsoft) accounts are stored somewhere remotely.

For remote email, if you are checking your email on an iPad, iPhone, or their web service like gmail.com you'll be able to see if the inbox is at least on the remote site. If they are there, and not on your Mac email client, it is possible the internet connection on the Mac wasn't set right or it lost an internet connection. WiFi less than 5 feet from the WiFi station has overlapping waves, and in another room over 150 feet away, may lose connection, especially with file cabinets or pipes in the way. Sometimes you can set your phone as a hotspot and try to check email using it as a WiFi hotspot.

We'd have to know who your email host is to find out more why your email isn't checking, and which style you are using to help you further.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2022 2:03 PM in response to LPComms

Emails are typically "On my Mac" or server based.

POP is always On my Mac.

Go to Finder

Go menu -> Go to Folder

~/Library

Search for Mail and Mail Downloads folder, and click once on each, and select Get Info from the file menu.

If the size is in the several hundred MB or GB the folders are at least intact for On My Mac.

POP based emailed email accounts where the size is only a few MB mean you may have logged in a different account on the Mac, or you have corruption on your Mac that needs to be addressed to find out why the email folder is so small.

Otherwise, IMAP and Exchange (Microsoft) accounts are stored somewhere remotely.

For remote email, if you are checking your email on an iPad, iPhone, or their web service like gmail.com you'll be able to see if the inbox is at least on the remote site. If they are there, and not on your Mac email client, it is possible the internet connection on the Mac wasn't set right or it lost an internet connection. WiFi less than 5 feet from the WiFi station has overlapping waves, and in another room over 150 feet away, may lose connection, especially with file cabinets or pipes in the way. Sometimes you can set your phone as a hotspot and try to check email using it as a WiFi hotspot.

We'd have to know who your email host is to find out more why your email isn't checking, and which style you are using to help you further.

Emails in folders have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.