You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mds_stores at 274.40%

According to a recent EtreCheck report of my system, at one point mds_stores had run at 274.40%. How is this possible? Would it cause my iMac to suddenly shut down?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 11:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 11:27 AM

mypetduck wrote:

According to a recent EtreCheck report of my system, at one point mds_stores had run at 274.40%. How is this possible? Would it cause my iMac to suddenly shut down?

If spotlight is re-dexing there is nothing unusual about the %—

keep in mind you have multiple cores running, not just one for a single 100%

It sounds like the real question is why " suddenly shut down?"

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

You can always post your etrecheck here, if you need help identifying conflicts or issues.

ref: how to post see Old Toad here for posting instructions: Unable to install Monterey - Apple Community

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2022 11:27 AM in response to mypetduck

mypetduck wrote:

If spotlight is re-dexing there is nothing unusual about the %—

keep in mind you have multiple cores running, not just one for a single 100%

It sounds like the real question is why " suddenly shut down?"

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

You can always post your etrecheck here, if you need help identifying conflicts or issues.

ref: how to post see Old Toad here for posting instructions: Unable to install Monterey - Apple Community

Jul 6, 2022 11:43 AM in response to mypetduck

mypetduck wrote:
According to a recent EtreCheck report
Thank you, that makes sense. Re shutting down, you responded to a separate thread i have about that issue that im still troubleshooting.

?

Old Toad posted a point by point way to post an meaningful etrecheck report here in the ASC , in the references above....that is all. It is independent of the subject "Unable to install Monterey"

mds_stores at 274.40%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.