You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

osx not available

I am resetting my old Air 13 to factory setting.

I erased the disk but, when reinstalling its original osx 10 Yosemite... it's NOT AVAILABLE on my Apple Store account.

I'm stuck there.

Doesn't allow me to connect to icloud either.

It says that "can't establish a secure connection.

I'm lost.

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 4:14 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 10, 2022 4:39 PM in response to Song77x

You may have to try another method to start your Mac into recovery, that

allows it to connect directly to Apple and download installers that way:

"When you install macOS from Recovery, you get the current version

of the most recently installed macOS, with some exceptions.."

• On an Intel-based Mac, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup to be offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. Or you can use Option-Command-R during startup to be offered either the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac, or in some cases the macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version still available.

..You'd still be able to try & use downloadable installers from Apple;

versions that could be compatible to build year hardware, are there.

• How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Details change; however it is possible to install a new download of

vintage or newer macOS, on a new storage drive; and reformat it.

[Or make a bootable installer with separate drive from instructions.

And then use Terminal command line to try & make it work.]

Jul 14, 2022 12:42 PM in response to Song77x

Boot into recovery mode using Command + Option + R which should not require authenticating using an AppleID.

You will also likely need to change the date on the computer to some time in 2017 or perhaps even earlier since the certificate for the installer has probably expired. While booted to the installer launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and use the following command to set the date & time to Jan. 2, 2017 @ 11:33am (adjust the year if necessary):

date  -u  0102113317

If there are no errors, then quit the Terminal app and select "Reinstall macOS" unless you are performing a clean install which will require you to first use Disk Utility to erase the drive before selecting the "Reinstall macOS" option.

FYI, if you can still boot the Mac, then I highly recommend you create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If your Mac can run macOS 10.10, then it should be able to run macOS 10.11 as well. You should check to see whether your Mac is able to run an even newer version of macOS by using this article to see which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

If for some reason you need macOS 10.10 specifically, then here is a link to the installer. You can still create a bootable macOS 10.10 USB installer by following the directions for the 10.11 El Capitan and adjusting the command accordingly to reflect the difference in names.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

osx not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.