You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY do I need to do an Apple ID update?

I've had an Apple since 2006, a second in 2012, and got this new 24" desktop, Monterey, in January, 2022. I uploaded all my data to the new system, but have had problems with Monterey's computer settings & apps ever since.

I just went into System Preference to "charge" the mouse & keyboard. There's a red dot on the Apple ID & shows, I have to "Update Apple ID Settings" - because - "Some account services require you to sign in again." I don't use Apple Store nor any other "services" other than these forums, to help with all the Problems I'm having with Monterey apps. Yet I got here didn't I?

WHY update? My Apple ID has been the same since Verizon dumped E-mail in 2016. Seems like a waste of time if you ask me. Is it Apple or gmail that's requiring this?

iMac

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 8:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 7:17 AM

I have to "Update Apple ID Settings" - because - "Some account services require you to sign in again." I don't use Apple Store nor any other "services" other than these forums, to help with all the Problems I'm having with Monterey apps.

macOS Monterey apps comes also from the App Store

So you use the App Store, for apps and for update macOS.

There's a red dot on the Apple ID & shows

You need to update your Apple ID settings.

Click on that red dot, the click Continue.

Enter your Apple ID password, then follow the on-screen instructions.

See also -> Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2022 7:17 AM in response to Kathylpv

I have to "Update Apple ID Settings" - because - "Some account services require you to sign in again." I don't use Apple Store nor any other "services" other than these forums, to help with all the Problems I'm having with Monterey apps.

macOS Monterey apps comes also from the App Store

So you use the App Store, for apps and for update macOS.

There's a red dot on the Apple ID & shows

You need to update your Apple ID settings.

Click on that red dot, the click Continue.

Enter your Apple ID password, then follow the on-screen instructions.

See also -> Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Jul 22, 2022 3:27 PM in response to Kathylpv

See this Apple article: If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

⤵️

Check your payment method

You may need to have a payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. Check which payment method you have on file and make sure it hasn't expired, been declined or failed.

Get more help:

• Call Apple in your region see: Contact Apple for support and service

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

It's an Apple policy.

You are not talking to Apple here.

We are also users of Apple products & services like you.

Jul 22, 2022 3:16 PM in response to Raicya

Hi Raicya

First I asked why I have to "Update" my Apple ID - since I just got this new computer in Jan 2022 - and updated all my data then. It's only been 6 months since I did that on this computer!

Second: I rarely use Apple Store - don't buy anything, just look at & check out different apps - mostly at the freebys. But I've never bought anything from the Apple Store. I've only downloaded some free apps - all within the past few months. I haven't been on the Apple store since.

Third: My Apple ID hasn't changed since I had to get google in 2014 when Verizon dumped doing E-mails.

So, what you say, doesn't make any sense to me. So these are 3 reasons I've asked & still ask Why do I have to do that

Kathy BLPV

Jul 22, 2022 4:48 PM in response to Kathylpv

What that is telling you is to update your Apple ID SETTINGS, not to update the apple id itself. It is saying that some account services require you to sign in AGAIN in order to use & use seemlessly, as opposed to just for set up purposes. If you don't use these services, then don't worry about it, no reason to sign in. I'm just like you, I only use the app store to get free apps, but when those apps need updating, you may need to sign in again for that as well.

I hope that helps a little.

Jul 23, 2022 12:24 PM in response to 1AppL3User2AnotHER

Hi 1AppL3User2AnotHER

What a unique num de plume! Thank You, for a clear, concise & simple explanation - from a like-minded Apple aficionado.

Though it seems odd to have to do this after just getting this computer / OS, with 4 "updates" & that I haven't changed anything - since I got this new computer. Who knows what's in the minds of those who create these OS? [Not I said the fly.]

Any ole who, It helps a whole lot. Thanks a Bunch, 1AppL3User2AnotHER - You've helped me a lot. Now I'll go off to do this "update"

Vada con Dio, Kathy BLPV

WHY do I need to do an Apple ID update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.