You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pivot table in numbers - limit to number of fields in rows and columns?

Hi. In pivot table - Numbers - Why I cannot add more then 5 fields in Rows and 5 fileds in Columns? Is this a bug?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 12:24 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 31, 2022 1:21 PM in response to SGIII

Hi SG, thanks for being so nice and replying to my problem. Here is what I am trying to do.

I own a furniture company. We are exporting reports from our 3D design software which are extremely detailed and which include many information about every single wood element included in set of furniture. Many of these elements are the same, some of them differ a little bit, for example they have different data in "edge banding" column. I wanted to use Numbers pivot tables (like I used to in other spreadsheets software) to consolidate data about these elements so that we can send order to the wood-cutting department. The pivot should list the different elements and counts them in the last column.

Print screen of the source report

Print screen of the pivot. As you can see on the right I am using max 5 rows but I still need at least 3 more information to get what I need.

Jul 31, 2022 2:40 PM in response to Kaleen_pl

I cannot read the details in your image so it is hard to recreate an example of your table with some data.

Perhaps try using another feature of Numbers called categories.

duplicate your table and change all the header columns to regular columns.

Then choose the first row to be a header row and enable categories (make sure the table is active by select one cell, then in the top right click ORGANIZE):

Add columns as needed:

In the rows where rows collapse (or expand), right click to add summary information

Jul 31, 2022 8:12 PM in response to Kaleen_pl

Kaleen_pl wrote:

Here is what I am trying to do.

I wanted to use Numbers pivot tables (like I used to in other spreadsheets software) to consolidate data about these elements so that we can send order to the wood-cutting department. The pivot should list the different elements and counts them in the last column.

As you have probably discovered Pivot Tables are good a summing and counting your data.

They are not necessarily good at listing things.

Note that you can filter Pivot Tables. So you could filter for a subset of your data and stay within the 5-field limit that way.

SG

Jul 28, 2022 8:40 PM in response to Kaleen_pl

Pivot Tables are a relatively new addition to Numbers. Very useful. Glad to see you are using them!

It is unclear whether the limit of 5 fields in the Columns and Rows boxes in Pivot Options for Pivot Tables is related to the long-standing limit on the number of Header Rows and Columns in "regular" tables.

However, in experimenting with Pivot Tables, I am having a hard time visualizing why you would want even that many. Usually I find I want one, or at most two, in any one of those boxes at any one time.

Have you had a look at the 'Pivot Table Basics' template at File > New in the menu?

Perhaps you could post a screenshot of your data table and what you are trying to show in a Pivot Table.

SG

Pivot table in numbers - limit to number of fields in rows and columns?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.