You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos

Hi! So, I am very confused as whether or not I can safely delete photos from my photo album after importing into my mac. In the past, I have deleted them and they are still on my computer. But I just want to double check that it is safe to continue doing so? Will I lose the photos eventually?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 5:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 10:45 AM

When you use the delete key to delete a photo in an album: that picture is removed from the album, but it remains intact in the Library. If you had the picture in other albums as well, then deleting it from one album doesn't affect it in the others.

If you use command delete to remove a photo from an album: that picture is removed from all the albums and put in the "Recently Deleted" section where it will remain for 30 days and then be removed from the library forever.

I hope this answers your question.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2022 10:45 AM in response to rosesandlilies

When you use the delete key to delete a photo in an album: that picture is removed from the album, but it remains intact in the Library. If you had the picture in other albums as well, then deleting it from one album doesn't affect it in the others.

If you use command delete to remove a photo from an album: that picture is removed from all the albums and put in the "Recently Deleted" section where it will remain for 30 days and then be removed from the library forever.

I hope this answers your question.

Aug 15, 2022 12:51 AM in response to rosesandlilies

Hate to nitpick but you do need to be clear in your terminology. If you're not then there is a risk of accidentally deleting something.

I am very confused as whether or not I can safely delete photos from my photo album after importing into my mac.

What is your "photo album"? and how are you importing things to your Mac? Into what application? Photos? The Finder? Something else?

In the past, I have deleted them and they are still on my computer

Deleted what exactly? and from where? and were do you still see them on your computer?

Deleting photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.