You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade Catalina to Monterey?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 5:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 5:56 AM

Unless your MacBook Pro is an Early 2015 model or later, you cannot upgrade to Monterey. From the Apple menu () -> About This Mac panel, look at your product description line and in particular, what is in the parenthesis of that line. This is the year and model reference for your production run of the Mac.

If your MacBook Pro is a Late 2013 model or newer, you can upgrade to macOS Big Sur (11.6.8) which you can obtain from: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support using the Safari browser only.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2022 5:56 AM in response to jrcscarrillo

Unless your MacBook Pro is an Early 2015 model or later, you cannot upgrade to Monterey. From the Apple menu () -> About This Mac panel, look at your product description line and in particular, what is in the parenthesis of that line. This is the year and model reference for your production run of the Mac.

If your MacBook Pro is a Late 2013 model or newer, you can upgrade to macOS Big Sur (11.6.8) which you can obtain from: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support using the Safari browser only.

Aug 15, 2022 5:58 AM in response to jrcscarrillo

if the Mac is compatible with monterey, please note that some people have had issues trying to upgrade to monterey from any macOS prior to big sur. if it was me, i would try upgrading from catalina to big sur first and then on to monterey.

the download for big sur can be found here: 

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

you may also want to read these two pages first:

How to upgrade to Big Sur - User Tips

How to upgrade to Monterey - User Tips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.