You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have previously made countless iMovies with downloaded songs from my iTunes library and I can't do that any more with newly purchases songs from Apple Music.

Why can't I use songs that I downloaded using my Apple Music subscription in iMovie?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 8:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 9:15 PM

Apple Music songs cannot be used in iMovie because they are DRM protected. Downloading them to iTunes will not remove the protection. You can still purchase and use non-DRM protected that you purchase, or have purchased, directly from iTunes.

Also, as you point out, Apple Music is a subscription service that entitles you to listen to the song as long as you keep paying for the subscription. In other words, you are not purchasing the song, but only renting it so to speak. It is not intended that the songs be downloaded used in any other app. Otherwise one could buy the subscription, download numerous songs, and then cancel the subscription, and use the songs without paying the subscription fee.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2022 9:15 PM in response to Donald_NY

Apple Music songs cannot be used in iMovie because they are DRM protected. Downloading them to iTunes will not remove the protection. You can still purchase and use non-DRM protected that you purchase, or have purchased, directly from iTunes.

Also, as you point out, Apple Music is a subscription service that entitles you to listen to the song as long as you keep paying for the subscription. In other words, you are not purchasing the song, but only renting it so to speak. It is not intended that the songs be downloaded used in any other app. Otherwise one could buy the subscription, download numerous songs, and then cancel the subscription, and use the songs without paying the subscription fee.

-- Rich

Aug 29, 2022 4:36 AM in response to Rich839

This was very helpful. Thank you! I am planning to cancel my Apple Music subscription and going back to purchasing songs via iTunes a la carte. It is my understanding based on your response that it is possible that a song that I purchase from iTunes (as opposed to renting via Apple Music) may not be DRM protected. Not sure what the odds are, but it is worth pursuing. Is my assumption correct?

I have previously made countless iMovies with downloaded songs from my iTunes library and I can't do that any more with newly purchases songs from Apple Music.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.