You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden lag for a few seconds

Hello community,

After downloading the latest update, MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 (21G83), sometimes I experience a weird lag on the computer, which only lasts for a few seconds, but it's really weird and shouldn't be happening. For instance, I play some music, listen to a podcast, move some files around, read an article on safari and it lags. I am worried. When that happens I usually have 2 or 3 apps running (different desktops on MacOS) such as Safari, Mail, Music, Podcasts etc. It doesn't crash. Any ideas? Thank you!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Fusion HD 3,12 TB - 813,46GB Free

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 10:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 11:48 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2022 11:48 AM in response to MarcusAntoniusMg

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Sep 6, 2022 10:57 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much for this suggestion.

Have followed it, safe mode was lagging terribly, might be the case anyway, I use macintosh since 2007, had never experienced this before. I did run disk utility whilst on safe mode and now I am checking activity monitor quite often, just in case I manage to get a glimpse at what is happening. Nevertheless, this weird lag hasn't occurred again thus far. Will keep on using and testing and get back to you.

Thanks again.

Sudden lag for a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.