You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Closed caption will not turn off on Apple TV .

Apple TV 4K. Cannot turn of Closed Caption.

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 6:13 PM

I had gone into accessibility and turned off subtitles and closed captions many times, but still had captions appearing on the screen. I had not used play/pause option to get to the captions. I turned off the captions there, thank goodness--no more closed captions. I had all but given up and after making the captions as small and translucent as possible, but of course, I was still bugged even though I could barely see the captions. Thank you for your response to my issue

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 7, 2022 6:13 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I had gone into accessibility and turned off subtitles and closed captions many times, but still had captions appearing on the screen. I had not used play/pause option to get to the captions. I turned off the captions there, thank goodness--no more closed captions. I had all but given up and after making the captions as small and translucent as possible, but of course, I was still bugged even though I could barely see the captions. Thank you for your response to my issue

Sep 7, 2022 2:20 AM in response to 2m

Closed Captions is a system-wide (for apps that follow this setting) preference in Accessibility settings. Use subtitles and captioning on Apple TV - Apple Support.

You may alternatively turn subtitles to Off for the currently playing video. Change subtitles or languages for videos in the Apple TV app or iTunes Store - Apple Support.

Sep 18, 2022 10:30 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Until iOS 16, with the Apple TV Remote app on iPhone, Siri would turn subtitles on an off. After the upgrade to iOS 16, Siri’s response to any subtitle command is, “I’m sorry (Dave), I’m afraid I can’t do that.” Note that Siri is not saying, “I don’t understand that request,” it is saying specifically that it cannot turn subtitles on or off. 

Can anyone confirm that this change is universal in iOS 16?

Closed caption will not turn off on Apple TV .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.