You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-using old Backup Drive on New Mac

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro. I have a 1 TB Seagate backup drive which I had been using with Time Machine to backup my old Mac. Do I need to delete the backups from the old Mac before initiating a backup on the new one? If so, how do I do it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 11:26 AM

in DU, first, you must be sure to use the "view" menu

and then "show all devices".

before you select the drive at the top level to erase it?

because if you do, you should be given the "format" and "scheme" options.

12 replies

Sep 19, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Tomlin381

I always feel that it is best to start a fresh backup after upgrading macOS, or moving to a new mac.

if you don't have a need for the old backups, then yes, you may as well erase the drive and start fresh with the new Mac. first remove the drive from TM preferences and then refer to this apple support page to erase the drive >> Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

but if you may eventually need those backups, then I would put that drive aside and start fresh with a new drive on the new Mac. and as cheap as external drives have become, why not get a new drive to go with your new Mac?

Sep 19, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Tomlin381

You can also add an additional drive (or remove an existing drive) at any time.

When you add a drive, Time machine will create a new, stand-alone backup set on the added drive, then alternate drives -- every other backup goes to every-other drive.

As jeffreythefrog says, the 'approved method' for eliminating unwanted Time Machine backups on a drive is to ERASE the drive. Don't try to delete the individual backups.

If you ask Time Machine nicely to remove a backup, it only processes ONE backup (of the dozens remaining on the drive) at a time. They are consolidated, not eliminated, and It takes a very long time for each.

Sep 19, 2022 11:03 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I was able to erase the Seagate drive using disc utility, but Time Machine shows the disc as "not available" when I try to backup on it. There must be some formatting issue with the erased drive that I missed. I didn't get the "scheme" or "format" popup menus the instructions referenced, so I suspect that the erased disc is not yet properly formatted to be used by Time Machine. Thanks for your help anyway...

Sep 19, 2022 3:45 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

You started from the detail of selecting "show all devices"

I started from the detail of select the DEVICE by its wonky name, because I see the most common failure as choosing Macintosh HD and thinking you are done.

Then I went on to include the information you did, not to contradict you, but to re-enforce what you said. I also included a link to the official Apple article, which says the same stuff you and I both did in yet another way.

These posts will be here for a long time, and other readers we will never know will find them by searching, but never post anything. I try for the most complete information in the most accessible form, and often that means saying the same stuff a different way.

Please don't read that as criticism. I did not mean to challenge what you said, only re-enforce it.

Re-using old Backup Drive on New Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.