You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHAT ALTERNATIVE VBA ON MAC OS IS COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS

Dear community.

I am working on and learning to write some code for basic data logging allowing me to input data and populate different lists and spreadsheets and am using office for Mac and Excel specifically. This is the first time i have used excel for mac and the inbuilt VBA facility. There appears to be many error messages and functionality is not automatic.

I need the functionality of worksheet with Macros and need to pass these worksheets on to other users running windows and excel. There must work flawlessly to be effective.

Is there an alternative to excel that is compatible to both Mac OS and Windows? I had hoped that by the time the M2 16 inch Mac book pro arrives the programers working on Office for Mac will have fixed the broken VBA program. Does any one know if this is likely to be the case or do i have to write separate programs for windows and Mac.

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 5:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 8:49 AM

This is a user forum, you are not addressing apple here  just  fellow users

not sure what you expect to accomplish but debating here that ms office is a joined ms and apple venture

you can try contacting apple Support ->  Get Support (apple.com)

and or give them feedback -> Product Feedback - Apple

10 replies

Oct 12, 2022 7:53 AM in response to Yer_Man

To the best of my Knowledge Microsoft office for Mac is a joint venture between Apple and Microsoft engineers. To assume that Mac do not have any input or responsibility for the function of software on their computers is wrong.

"Every Mac comes with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote — powerful productivity apps from Apple that help you create stunning documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. You can collaborate with one person or many people to create and edit Pages, Keynote, and Numbers files. And everyone can work on the same document at the same time — from across town or across the globe. You can also open, edit, and save Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files with these apps, so you can easily work with others, regardless of whether they’re on a Mac or PC." Apple website my friend.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 12, 2022 7:54 AM in response to WINDOWUSER

To the best of my Knowledge Microsoft office for Mac is a joint venture between Apple and Microsoft

if that is the case than that is the first time I've ever heard that, ms have been making excel to apple computes since Apple II

and later the first Macintosh, never heard about apple taking an active development role, never heard apple do that with any thirdparty software supplier.

Oct 12, 2022 8:19 AM in response to WINDOWUSER

To the best of my Knowledge Microsoft office for Mac is a joint venture between Apple and Microsoft engineers.

Then you need to improve your knowledge. MS own Excel. No one else does. It's not a joint venture.

As for quoting the Apple website at me, friend, your point is what? That you can copy and paste material not relevant to the ownership of Excel? Well done.

In the meantime, the best place to get help with a product is from the makers, in this case: Microsoft.

Oct 12, 2022 8:41 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

The fact remains that Apple and Microsoft entered a joint venture to get Microsoft office on the mac. it may have escaped you all but there it is, a good product that requires some work around.

The question remains relevant considering many users use Microsoft Office for Mac and as this is a forum for Mac users and microsoft users who have cross compatibility issues and clearly Apple sell the product on the bases of compatability it is a subject that is relevant to the forum.

Oct 12, 2022 10:48 AM in response to WINDOWUSER

The fact remains that Apple and Microsoft entered a joint venture to get Microsoft office on the mac.

How long ago was that? And, those words do not mean what you think they do. Redlars, Literature & Latte, Nisus are all small software developers whose apps can read and write to MS owned formats. Do you think this means they own Word as well as MS?

WHAT ALTERNATIVE VBA ON MAC OS IS COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.