You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 1st generation

Hi, I moved and am trying to set up my old Apple TV remote. My Apple TV remote is not working (tried new batteries also). But in the new place I need to set up my Wi-Fi. How can I pair my phone to use this Apple TV.

It prompts me to put the numbers on the TV which I cannot without my original Apple TV remote.

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 10:38 AM

If your Apple TV box is black and 3.9×3.9", then it is at least 2nd generation.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If your Apple Remote (aluminum) got unlinked for the Apple TV box, then you can re-link it as described. Do both steps: the unlinking and linking.

If your Apple TV remote isn't working - Apple Support

If you need a replacement for a broken remote, then you can buy one. You may have to link replacement remote as described above. Buy an Apple Remote (aluminum) - Apple TV accessories - Apple Store online

If you want to use the software remote on iPhone with an older model Apple TV box, then you may still need the physical remote to help set that up:

The Apple TV (3rd generation) needs a functional remote to set up the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (3rd generation), your options are:

The Apple TV (2nd generation) is not compatible with the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (2nd generation), your option is:

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 15, 2022 10:38 AM in response to pj_apple_99

If your Apple TV box is black and 3.9×3.9", then it is at least 2nd generation.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If your Apple Remote (aluminum) got unlinked for the Apple TV box, then you can re-link it as described. Do both steps: the unlinking and linking.

If your Apple TV remote isn't working - Apple Support

If you need a replacement for a broken remote, then you can buy one. You may have to link replacement remote as described above. Buy an Apple Remote (aluminum) - Apple TV accessories - Apple Store online

If you want to use the software remote on iPhone with an older model Apple TV box, then you may still need the physical remote to help set that up:

The Apple TV (3rd generation) needs a functional remote to set up the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (3rd generation), your options are:

The Apple TV (2nd generation) is not compatible with the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (2nd generation), your option is:

Apple TV 1st generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.