You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hey i have my remote on phone for apple TV but without my apple tv being connected to internet i cannnot pair

I have an old apple tv that i have brought abroad with me so i can watch apps off of it . i had lost my apple TV remote and thought i could just use the remote function on my iphone 14 plus . However i cannot connect the apple TV to the internet without pairing it with phone remote to be able to get into settings and key in wi fi password. Help

Posted on May 2, 2023 1:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2023 4:05 PM

As the software remote works over the home network, the Apple TV box will first need to have its network settings configured.

I have an old apple tv

What is the model Apple TV?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

↳ The A-number should be mentioned on the bottom of the device

① The Apple TV (4th generation or later) should be straight-forward to pair with, as described, if both devices are already on the same home network. Else you will need a functional remote to set up the network first.

② The Apple TV (3rd generation) needs a functional remote to set up the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (3rd generation), your options are:

③ The Apple TV (2nd generation) is not compatible with the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (2nd generation), your option is:

• buy a replacement Apple Remote (aluminum).

If you lost the remote for your Apple TV - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2023 4:05 PM in response to sarahcarn

As the software remote works over the home network, the Apple TV box will first need to have its network settings configured.

I have an old apple tv

What is the model Apple TV?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

↳ The A-number should be mentioned on the bottom of the device

① The Apple TV (4th generation or later) should be straight-forward to pair with, as described, if both devices are already on the same home network. Else you will need a functional remote to set up the network first.

② The Apple TV (3rd generation) needs a functional remote to set up the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (3rd generation), your options are:

③ The Apple TV (2nd generation) is not compatible with the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (2nd generation), your option is:

• buy a replacement Apple Remote (aluminum).

If you lost the remote for your Apple TV - Apple Support

hey i have my remote on phone for apple TV but without my apple tv being connected to internet i cannnot pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.