You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am currently running on Catalina. I wanted to upgrade to Monterey 12.5.1. When I go to check the upgrades it only shows the new Ventura. Can I get Monterey now or do I have to get Ventura?

I am currently running Catalina. I wanted to upgrade to Monterey 12.5.1 when I go to check the upgrades it only shows the new Ventura. Can I still get Monterey now or do I have to get Ventura.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 11:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 11:54 AM

You can get the full Monterey 12.6.1 installer from How to download macOS - Apple Support and it will be deposited in your /Applications folder. It will autolaunch, and I suggest that you quit that before you continue so that you can backup your Catalina to Time Machine. Once you have done that, turn off Time Machine in System Preferences, eject your Catalina Time Machine drive, and then proceed with the Monterey upgrade.

You will need a new Time Machine drive once Monterey is installed, as you do not want to pollute your Catalina backup with Monterey stuff. Once the new APFS formatted Time Machine drive is connected to Monterey, turn Time Machine back on and let it perform its first full backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2022 11:54 AM in response to BrevardLady22

You can get the full Monterey 12.6.1 installer from How to download macOS - Apple Support and it will be deposited in your /Applications folder. It will autolaunch, and I suggest that you quit that before you continue so that you can backup your Catalina to Time Machine. Once you have done that, turn off Time Machine in System Preferences, eject your Catalina Time Machine drive, and then proceed with the Monterey upgrade.

You will need a new Time Machine drive once Monterey is installed, as you do not want to pollute your Catalina backup with Monterey stuff. Once the new APFS formatted Time Machine drive is connected to Monterey, turn Time Machine back on and let it perform its first full backup.

Oct 26, 2022 3:40 PM in response to VikingOSX

I'm getting ready to upgrade to Monterey from Catalina.

Can you provide more information on needing a New Time Machine Drive?

I have an external HD with plenty of space - but after reading your response I'm worried about messing up my existing backups or not getting a good new backup after upgrading the OS.

Also - will i still be able to access my old back up if for some reason i need an old file? Or will I have to go through reinstalling Catalina to access old backups. (I've never needed to use a back up - but i don't want to be in the position where I need to access one and can't)

Thanks for your help.

I am currently running on Catalina. I wanted to upgrade to Monterey 12.5.1. When I go to check the upgrades it only shows the new Ventura. Can I get Monterey now or do I have to get Ventura?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.