You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16.1 - WiFi probelm

I have iPhone 12 and after updating to iOS 16.1 from iOS 16 I faced a problem with the WiFI connection as my iPhone was connecting for seconds then disconnecting.

I believe it is a problem with the iOS 16.1 since there are many Apple devices with iOS 15 & 16 and connected to the same router without any problem.

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 5:01 AM

9 replies

Oct 29, 2022 12:17 PM in response to A.Sheref

Hi A.Sheref,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with your Wi-Fi after updating to iOS 16.1. We'd like to help.

While it's possible that this is device specific, it's still important to isolate this issue to be sure. Have you check out these steps here? This can give you a good idea what is the cause of this and how to resolve it:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

1. Make sure that your router is on and you're within range
If you're too far from your Wi-Fi router, you can't get a signal, so make sure that you're within range. 

2. . Make sure that Wi-Fi is on and you can see your network
Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and make sure that Wi-Fi is on. Tap the name of your Wi-Fi network to join. A blue checkmark beside a network name means that you're connected.
If you see Auto Join Disabled under your Wi-Fi network name, tap it turn on Auto-Join.
An iPhone on the Settings > Wi-Fi screen. There's a blue a checkmark next to the Wi-Fi network's name.
3. If asked, enter your Wi-Fi password
If asked, enter the password for your Wi-Fi network. Get help if you don't know your password.
Even if you enter the correct password, you might see an "unable to join the network" message or an "incorrect password" message. Restart all of your devices, then try to enter your password again.

4. Check for issues with your Wi-Fi network
If iOS or iPadOS detects an issue with your Wi-Fi connection, you might see a Wi-Fi recommendation under the name of the Wi-Fi network that you're connected to. For example, you might see the alert "No Internet Connection." To get more information, tap the Wi-Fi network.
An iPhone on the Settings > Wi-Fi screen. Is says "No Internet Connection" under the Wi-Fi network's name.
5. Check your cables and connections
If you still can't connect to your network or get online, make sure that your router is connected to the modem and turned on.

6. Restart
Try restarting your iOS or iPadOS device. Here's how to restart your iPhoneiPad, or iPod touch.
Then restart your router, and cable or DSL modem. To restart your router or modem, unplug it, then plug it back in. 
After you restart each device, see if you fixed the issue.

7. Still can't connect?
Reset your Network Settings. If you're using iOS or iPadOS 15 or later, tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.
An iPhone on the Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset screen. Reset Network Settings is selected.

Get more help
If you're connected to a Wi-Fi network but you can’t get online, try to use your Wi-Fi network on other devices. If you can't get online using your other devices, there might be a service outage. Call your cable company or internet provider for help.
Try connecting to a Wi-Fi network in a different location. If your device can connect, you need to get help with your Wi-Fi network. If your device can't connect to any Wi-Fi networks, contact Apple.
Update your Wi-Fi router with the latest firmware and make sure that the router supports your Apple product. For more information, contact the router's manufacturer.

Let us know how that goes.

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2022 6:23 PM in response to TheAlphaYak

So I checked my wifi router settings (I use an eero Pro 6) and validated my connection speed after performing these steps on my iPhone 12 Pro Max:

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

This seemed to resolve it for the most part (>24hrs of sustained observable stability) but I noticed the same thing happened again after my ‘Sleep Focus’ triggered. Luckily I was able to disable, and re-enable WiFi and since then, I’ve had no trouble. The next time I take a hit, I’ll time stamp it and check my router logs to see if anything ‘triggered’ the connection instability that it can see.

Sorry for no resolution here, but hopefully the force restart helps someone else struggling with this here.

Nov 11, 2022 12:30 PM in response to A.Sheref

I recently upgraded both my iPhone 13 & my 2nd gen iPad Pro to 16.1.1, from 15-something. Since then my wifi connection has been spotty at best. I have websites loading slower than they ever have, if they load at all. Problems with games as well. Turning the devices off and on again seem to help temporarily, but after they've been back on for not a long time, the issues arise again. A new update is needed to fix this NOW.

Nov 26, 2022 1:29 AM in response to A.Sheref

I have toyed with a few settings, but from monitoring my iPhone in my routers administration, I’ve noticed that I’ve not been entirely disconnected, but rather that my iPhone’s connection speed eventually drops to something abysmal like 2kbps up and down. I’ll toy with some other configuration as well, and I’ll post if I find anything that helps.

Nov 30, 2022 7:19 AM in response to A.Sheref

I have an iPhone 12 suffering from internet connection problems after the IOS 16.1 update. The device stays connected to Wi-Fi but has no internet connection after charging through the night. I can verify the internet connection good as other devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network have functional internet access. My iPad Pro suffers the same affliction after the IOS 16 update but neither the iPhone 14 or XR on the same network have a problem. The iPhone 12 and iPad Pro have no problems working throughout the day. The problem only seems to occur after charging the device for an extended period of time. Thoughts?

iOS 16.1 - WiFi probelm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.