You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I charge newer iPad model with a usb c to usb a cable

I need to know if I can charge iPad 5air 2022 with a usb a to usb c cable?

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 7:44 AM

If you have an appropriate charger then can receive the cable, sure.

The iPad fifth generation has a USB-C port for charging and data transfer.

If your charger has a USB-A port you can use a USB-C to USB-A cable to charge it.

3 replies

Nov 11, 2022 8:56 AM in response to vaqas33

Yes, you can use a certified USB Type-A to USB-C charging/data cable - however, your iPad will only reliably charge when connected to a USB power source of 12W (2.4A @5V) or greater. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

How do I charge newer iPad model with a usb c to usb a cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.