You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2017 MacBook Pro doesn't display when the screen is fully opened.

At certain angles, the MacBook Pro 2017 with a 15-inch screen works. I have seen many customers with the same issues. Apple products are very expensive, and they should be able to serve customers for a long time, but the 2017 15-inch screens don't display when the screen is fully opened. How can this issue be fixed? Can Apple be sued for this? here in the USA.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 4:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 9:50 AM

You are not addressing Apple here. This is not the place for complaints or inquiring about legal action, but for asking for help.

Without seeing the device, your description of symptoms suggest a worn display cable. At different screen angles, the electrical communications over the cable can be interrupted. However, the only proper determination of cause is through a hands-on inspection.

However, this is not a common failure in Retina MacBook Pros. I've been here a long time and it was more likely to happen to G4 PowerBooks and 1Gen Macbook Pros (2006 through about mid 2008) that used a very different multi-component display configuration from the unified display assembly in Retina models. Since the Retinas came out in Late 2012, I've seen only a handful of "position-dependent" flickering or blackout complaints, with only one confirmed as a worn cable.

Again, it could be something else , but asking here is going to get you what other users have experienced. The fact remains you must get a professional evaluation in order to move forward with this.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 25, 2022 9:50 AM in response to simeon167

You are not addressing Apple here. This is not the place for complaints or inquiring about legal action, but for asking for help.

Without seeing the device, your description of symptoms suggest a worn display cable. At different screen angles, the electrical communications over the cable can be interrupted. However, the only proper determination of cause is through a hands-on inspection.

However, this is not a common failure in Retina MacBook Pros. I've been here a long time and it was more likely to happen to G4 PowerBooks and 1Gen Macbook Pros (2006 through about mid 2008) that used a very different multi-component display configuration from the unified display assembly in Retina models. Since the Retinas came out in Late 2012, I've seen only a handful of "position-dependent" flickering or blackout complaints, with only one confirmed as a worn cable.

Again, it could be something else , but asking here is going to get you what other users have experienced. The fact remains you must get a professional evaluation in order to move forward with this.

Nov 24, 2022 8:30 AM in response to simeon167

simeon167 wrote:

At certain angles, the MacBook Pro 2017 with a 15-inch screen works. I have seen many customers with the same issues. Apple products are very expensive, and they should be able to serve customers for a long time, but the 2017 15-inch screens don't display when the screen is fully opened. How can this issue be fixed? Can Apple be sued for this? here in the USA.

you can take it —

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

My 2017 MacBook Pro doesn't display when the screen is fully opened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.