You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues using MacBook 2015 with HDMI Apple Adapter

I have MacBook 2015 and I am the HDMI Apple adapter. Once I plug in the power cable into to the HDMI adapter when I am using a HDMI out, the monitor goes out. Also, the laptop does not charge using the adapter.

Also, the Apple HDMI adapter does not charge the MacBook when I plug the power cable into the adapter (with or without anything in the adapter ports). Power cable only charges MacBook ok.

The Apple HDMI adapter does not charge the MacBook and the adapter is only usable without the power adapter plugged into the HDMI adapter. The HDMI out works with the monitor, but nothing with the USB port.

Note: I bought the newer version of the Apple HDMI adapter. Could this be the issue or is MacBook designed NOT to be able to charge using the power adapter with the HDMI adapter.

Kind of defeats the purpose of using the adapter on battery only with one USB-C on MacBook.

The Apple HDMI adapter works perfectly with my MacBook Pro 2018 and 2021. No issues with using the Adapter (power, HDMI and USB outs work).

Battery needs to be replaced on MacBook, but still hold good charge.

Anyone have MacBook and using an HDMI adapter? I think it might be that the newer upgraded version of the HDMI adapter and might be the issue, but not sure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for the help.

MacBook, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 5:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 5:29 PM

Hello Loby,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with charging your Mac via an HDMI adapter. As it isn't designed to charge your Mac, this wouldn't work. We understand you have feedback about a feature for Apple that you would like recognized. You can leave feedback for them here: Product Feedback - Apple

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2022 5:29 PM in response to Loby

Hello Loby,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with charging your Mac via an HDMI adapter. As it isn't designed to charge your Mac, this wouldn't work. We understand you have feedback about a feature for Apple that you would like recognized. You can leave feedback for them here: Product Feedback - Apple

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Issues using MacBook 2015 with HDMI Apple Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.