You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent automatic space before ellipsis

When I type an … on my iPhone a space is inserted before the ellipsis, which is wrong. How can I stop this annoying behaviour? It’s very tedious to delete the extra space every single time… (yes, even now).

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 11:13 AM

Hi again Atcold,

Looking at various style guides found when searching ellipses, it looks like a space before and after is the most common.

Since you'd prefer not to have the space, have you tried to set up a "text replacement"? It may be worth a try to see if it can help. Here's the page which includes setting up a text replacement:

https://support.apple.com/HT207525

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2022 11:13 AM in response to Atcold

Hi again Atcold,

Looking at various style guides found when searching ellipses, it looks like a space before and after is the most common.

Since you'd prefer not to have the space, have you tried to set up a "text replacement"? It may be worth a try to see if it can help. Here's the page which includes setting up a text replacement:

https://support.apple.com/HT207525

Take care!

Dec 14, 2022 1:27 PM in response to Atcold

Atcold,

In this case we'd recommend updating to iOS 16.2 to see if your issue persists. You can learn how here:

"Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install."

Here's the full resource if you want more details: Update your iPhone or iPad

If things seem to persist you can reach out for additional support here: Get Support

Take care.

Dec 8, 2022 4:13 PM in response to Atcold

Hey Atcold,

Does this issue occur with the English keyboard or also with other language keyboards? Also, are you using a third-party keyboard app? Does it happen with one specific app or multiple apps?

If you haven't yet, let's try restarting your device to see if it helps: Restart your iPhone

We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you with the results!

Best regards.

Dec 9, 2022 12:16 PM in response to BrianK90

Default keyboard. Both in English and Italian the keyboard adds a space before the punctuation.

If I insert a period ‘.’ or a comma ‘,’ there is no space added.

If I insert an ellipsis ‘…’ a space is added between the symbol and the preceding word.

The device was bought last week.

It runs iOS 16.1.2

Prevent automatic space before ellipsis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.