You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies and OTHER storage space

I have a 2013 iMac, bought Dec 2015 with one TB, and using Yosemite. I have been eliminating files to recover more space. The "About this Mac" says my storage is nearly full. I moved most of what was on the iMac to iCloud, and have trash- emptied quite a lot also. Now: movies is taking 490 GBs, 'Other' is using 229 GBs. My desktop probably has less than 50 GB. How do I locate where 'Movies' and 'Other' are so I can thin them out. I don't download actual movies, but have several videos from courses. All of these have been moved to the iCloud. I do not know what "other refers to. My back up drive is 2 TB, and now has 1.9 TB.

Thank you

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 2:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 5:11 PM

Hi Tom Cray,

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Would like to share a couple of things that you probably are aware of .. just in case.

(We have no way of knowing the level of expertise and experience of those with requests, so please excuse if some info. below is already quite well known.)

(1) As iCloud is mainly a sync service ... deleting movies on Mac can also delete them on iCloud. So, keeping a back-up of anything stored in iCloud is a wise move.

(2) After emptying the trash, you may need to restart the Mac to see the changed storage amount

. Eg: Choose the black Apple in top menu bar > Click "restart" from the menu.

The Mac restarts, and you may need to log-in again with password.

(3) The Most accurate place to check storage is generally:

Apple menu > About this Mac > Storage

Re: How do I locate where 'Movies' are :

If you do not know what the folder that houses the movies is called ....

one quick way to find the movies is to use a Finder window to search for one title.

Find one, and you will likely find all.

Eg:

In the Finder

Click on File > New Finder window > enter movie title in search bar

Click on the movie that finder shows you, to highlight it.

That should display at the bottom of the finder window the file's location.

Re: "Other"

There's an article online (link below)that gives tips on clearing space used by "other".

Seems it needs careful work, so no essential system files are accidentally deleted

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

Eg" says:

But what is Other? Essentially, it’s a catch-all category for files on the Mac that are simply not categorized as something specific like Apps, Documents, TV, etc".

So the safest way to proceed is through deleting large files in their particular apps.

The article goes into detail about where to find and inspect what other contains.

All the best :-)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2022 5:11 PM in response to Tom Cray

Hi Tom Cray,

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Would like to share a couple of things that you probably are aware of .. just in case.

(We have no way of knowing the level of expertise and experience of those with requests, so please excuse if some info. below is already quite well known.)

(1) As iCloud is mainly a sync service ... deleting movies on Mac can also delete them on iCloud. So, keeping a back-up of anything stored in iCloud is a wise move.

(2) After emptying the trash, you may need to restart the Mac to see the changed storage amount

. Eg: Choose the black Apple in top menu bar > Click "restart" from the menu.

The Mac restarts, and you may need to log-in again with password.

(3) The Most accurate place to check storage is generally:

Apple menu > About this Mac > Storage

Re: How do I locate where 'Movies' are :

If you do not know what the folder that houses the movies is called ....

one quick way to find the movies is to use a Finder window to search for one title.

Find one, and you will likely find all.

Eg:

In the Finder

Click on File > New Finder window > enter movie title in search bar

Click on the movie that finder shows you, to highlight it.

That should display at the bottom of the finder window the file's location.

Re: "Other"

There's an article online (link below)that gives tips on clearing space used by "other".

Seems it needs careful work, so no essential system files are accidentally deleted

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

Eg" says:

But what is Other? Essentially, it’s a catch-all category for files on the Mac that are simply not categorized as something specific like Apps, Documents, TV, etc".

So the safest way to proceed is through deleting large files in their particular apps.

The article goes into detail about where to find and inspect what other contains.

All the best :-)

Movies and OTHER storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.