You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Photos to iMovie

I have used iMovie before but I am having a fit this time. I want to add photos to a new iMovie project. However, under the Libraries tab, when i click Photos (to go to my Photos library), iMovie continues to show albums from a PREVIOUS Photos library. That old library is not even on my Mac any more. It does not show any of the albums from my current Photos library. And there does not appear to be any way I can tell it, look here. When I look in the Import screen, I see the library I want, but it is greyed out and I can't select it. So, how do I get iMovie to use my current Photos library?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 2:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 11:52 PM

Open your Photos app library and, in the general preferences, designate it as your system Photo library. Then close and reopen iMovie and that should establish the link.

As a workaround you can open your Photos app library and directly drag the Photos into iMovie.

— Rich

3 replies

Adding Photos to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.