You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 MAIL notification bug?

I just bought an iPhone 11 and it's on the latest IOS. I set up my email, but don't get notifications. I've also noticed that the email only loads if I open the MAIL app. I've checked all settings which seems to be correct. Notifications/alerts are enabled. Focus/DND are off. I've reset Network settings. I've re-installed the MAIL app. All this did not help. I then installed a 3rd party email app and voilà... notifications worked.... until they didn't. Is anybody else having problems with emails notifications? (I read there was a bug in iOS 16 which should have been fixed in the last update)

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 4:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 9:49 AM

Hi nicolefrompully,

The following article has some information that you may find helpful. Specifically the section that has steps for checking mail fetch and notification settings: If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Check Mail Fetch and Notification settings
By default, Fetch New Data settings are based on what's provided by your email service. If Push isn't available as a setting, your account will default to Fetch. These settings affect how your device receives email. To adjust these settings:

1. Go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
2. Tap Fetch New Data.
3. Choose a setting — like Automatically or Manually — or choose a schedule for how often the Mail app fetches data.

With iOS 11 and later, and iPadOS, Automatically is set by default. Your device will fetch new data in the background only when your device is charging and connected to Wi-Fi.

Make sure that your Notification settings are correct for the Mail app:

1. Go to Settings, then tap Notifications.
2. Tap Mail, then tap an email account.
3. Adjust your Alerts, Sounds, and Badges.

You also mentioned not receiving notifications from a third party app. The steps in this resource will help if the app isn't working as expected: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open.

Cheers.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2022 9:49 AM in response to nicolefrompully

Hi nicolefrompully,

The following article has some information that you may find helpful. Specifically the section that has steps for checking mail fetch and notification settings: If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Check Mail Fetch and Notification settings
By default, Fetch New Data settings are based on what's provided by your email service. If Push isn't available as a setting, your account will default to Fetch. These settings affect how your device receives email. To adjust these settings:

1. Go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
2. Tap Fetch New Data.
3. Choose a setting — like Automatically or Manually — or choose a schedule for how often the Mail app fetches data.

With iOS 11 and later, and iPadOS, Automatically is set by default. Your device will fetch new data in the background only when your device is charging and connected to Wi-Fi.

Make sure that your Notification settings are correct for the Mail app:

1. Go to Settings, then tap Notifications.
2. Tap Mail, then tap an email account.
3. Adjust your Alerts, Sounds, and Badges.

You also mentioned not receiving notifications from a third party app. The steps in this resource will help if the app isn't working as expected: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open.

Cheers.

iPhone 11 MAIL notification bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.