You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

your home Wi-Fi network

How to distinguish a Wi-Fi network as “home hub is in your home, connected to your home Wi-Fi network

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 9:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 3:51 PM

Allow me to try something different: The use of the term ‘home network’ differentiates it from ‘enterprise networks’ that have a captive network portal access. Apple TV wants to connect to ethernet without authentication, or to Wi-Fi networks with just SSID network name and password.

Wi-Fi or ethernet and the home network as discussed here is not about Microsoft networking (are you referring to SMB*?). Apple TV networking is mostly about HTTPS over TCP. But users do not need to dive deep into that, as almost all home networks include internet access, so that is covered.

* Select third party apps on Apple TV may support SMB for media file sharing purposes. No special configuration needed.

how can we as users of an Apple device connect to a network and designated as “My home network” which will automatically be set as a hub controller in the case of an Apple TV?

You connect to a network using ethernet cable, or by signing in to a discovered (or manually entered) Wi-Fi network. The name/​designation of the network is unimportant. Nothing more to it. When the Apple TV box gets an IP address from the DHCP service on the router, as is default, then it is connected and ready for use. That’s all.

Perhaps someone else is able and willing to take this further. I think I’ve said all I have to say on this.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 25, 2022 3:51 PM in response to SFZack

Allow me to try something different: The use of the term ‘home network’ differentiates it from ‘enterprise networks’ that have a captive network portal access. Apple TV wants to connect to ethernet without authentication, or to Wi-Fi networks with just SSID network name and password.

Wi-Fi or ethernet and the home network as discussed here is not about Microsoft networking (are you referring to SMB*?). Apple TV networking is mostly about HTTPS over TCP. But users do not need to dive deep into that, as almost all home networks include internet access, so that is covered.

* Select third party apps on Apple TV may support SMB for media file sharing purposes. No special configuration needed.

how can we as users of an Apple device connect to a network and designated as “My home network” which will automatically be set as a hub controller in the case of an Apple TV?

You connect to a network using ethernet cable, or by signing in to a discovered (or manually entered) Wi-Fi network. The name/​designation of the network is unimportant. Nothing more to it. When the Apple TV box gets an IP address from the DHCP service on the router, as is default, then it is connected and ready for use. That’s all.

Perhaps someone else is able and willing to take this further. I think I’ve said all I have to say on this.

Dec 23, 2022 7:06 AM in response to SFZack

Nothing in your last post indicates that you want or need your Apple TV box as a home hub (a central device for Apple HomeKit home automation that links automations of select third party devices to your Apple ID account). The related article may not apply to you. You can use the Apple TV box and your Apple ID account without the need for a home hub. Apple TV services do not depend on a home hub.

“Home hub” in context of Apple products and services always relates to HomeKit services. It is behind-the-scenes software (a platform) for specific functionality. It is about “smart homes” (using apps to control certain things from a distance, or to automate behavior, unified through a central hub, but with distributed management (e.g. Home app on iPhone)).

To learn more about HomeKit:

Home app - Apple

HomeKit - Wikipedia

HomeKit: Everything you need to know - MacRumors

Ultimate guide to Apple HomeKit - SafeWise

HomeKit: Devices, features, specs, prices - Apple Insider

Apple HomeKit: What is it, and how do you use it? - Tom’s Guide

Dec 22, 2022 1:33 PM in response to SFZack

The local area network (LAN) that your home router creates, that is your home network. The router is usually the gateway between your home network and the connection to the ISP. The home network is normally shielded from the rest of the internet by internal routing on the subnet.

This router may bundle wired ethernet and Wi-Fi internally as one network, and/or have separate wireless access point units, or extenders, repeaters, mesh satellites, switches, etc.

The home network is different from a public network or shared community network or building network. A home network implies residential, and that the residents can connect to it, but not the neighbors.

I hope this helps, else please elaborate.

Dec 23, 2022 4:40 AM in response to Urquhart1244

My question was regarding the instructions for setting a home hub using an Apple TV. The article clearly wants to establish a home network based on what? To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to set the “home network” to be recognized as such in Apple devices. My question was regarding this particular procedure, if any, to make Apple devices recognize the home Wi-Fi as an identifiable “home network” the home hub procedure fir setting this “hub controller “ mentions that it is either set automatically during the device initial startup, or to set manually where the procedure is not even mentioned.

I am familiar with the automatic configuration during setup and if you are blessed your devices would give you a nice integrated home system however, for the unlucky client attempting to enjoy his entertainment system, I am one of those unlucky clients, my Apple TV + subscription was set, without my knowledge, as a service authorized to access Apple Music subscription. Despite the fact that I do not listen to Apple Music and I have not subscribed to the service and followed the instructions shown to me by the startup procedures to use my iPhone for the automated setup. Which I did.

due my need for additional storage on iCloud for my documents and photos, I had two subscriptions iVloud and the Apple TV +. Subsequently, I realized that my Apple tv + was logged under my subscription as Apple Music with access to Apple TV + to a music subscription.

attempting to initiate an corrective action with the least cost to me, I created a mess and the solution required $36 Apple One plus to proved to me the minimum requirements for iCloud and what I believed an Apple TV + service.

WRONG,

the terminal current status is, I have renewed the Apple TV+ subscription and kept the iCloud subscription for 2 Tera bytes with the sum less than the premium services using Apple One. To my displeasure and great irritation, the Apple TV initiated a new configuration procedure starting with asking me if I want Siri to recognize my voice, for the first time, it appears that my AppleID was in use on the tv. Of course I trust Apple and all its ids services and stores, but I need to verify the account on the tv; my AppleID was already set for iCloud and Gaming ID but NOT FOR THE STORE ACCOUNT.

I proceeded to sign out of both services and upon signing out of the TV it removed any history of ever I encountered a TV Apple and the device was deleted from my list of devices.

contscting support was a classic horror and still is. I had to cover the history of the events for The first support person; it took me about 19 minutes to accomplish that and my reward for asking for explanation of the subscription issues, ended by unfortunate network communication error and the chat was dropped. The second person to pickup the chat, appeared to be a trained professional in evasion, every question I asked was replied to by a muddy ambiguity prompting me to set the rules at my desire to communicate with Apple with precision and accuracy. He did not like that.

so, my question about “Home Wi-Fi” chosen with precision and accuracy to solicit a verifiable procedure to start my new Apple 4K TV. I have set the rules for accurate setup by deleting the Music App, Apple TV app and iTunes Store app and signed out from gaming on my iPhone to eliminate possible misguided procedures of the Apple TV 4K to sun in correctly yo my AppleID account, Mot iCloud AppleID, Not Gaming AppleID, Not Music AppleID , Not Apple Cash AppleID, just the simple one AppleID that’s all what I need to use Apple. To this day I have never been able to understand AppleID despite my doctoral degree in Cibil Engineering with collateral degree in probabilities and statistics, my professional registration as a Professional Civil Engineer, etc etc etc

Dec 24, 2022 5:07 AM in response to SFZack

I did see and read the related article. And I thought the article was unambiguous. Exactly what is still unclear?

You either have a home network with Wi-Fi, or you don’t. If you have it, then it’s fine. If you don’t have that, then get it. There is nothing special about it; any home network with Wi-Fi will do, as long as it covers the areas in reach for your devices.

That article is for HomeKit users. Are you a HomeKit user? Do you have HomeKit accessories, or plan to get them soon?

Dec 24, 2022 9:19 AM in response to Urquhart1244

My question still stands, Apple devices do not follow any settings to designate a network as your “home private network.” These networks see based on Microsoft’s definitions and standards for home private networks, Public and enterprise domain networks. These distinctions mandate and control the functions of devices in each type of network, furthermore, Apple devices have the Microsoft networking as built in optional features and all Apple devices observe the rules of Microsoft network client standards.

ok, now for HomeKit devices , which an Apple TV assumes the role of a hub automatically by design and default, the default configuration requires and implies that the tv be connected to “your home network” may I repeat my question “how can we as users of an Apple device connect to a network and designated as “My home network” which will automatically be set as a hub controller in the case of an Apple TV?

user: 

Urquhart1244

so dear gentle reader

Dec 26, 2022 6:16 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I found that the AppleTV configures as a hub when it has an Ethernet port and the cable is connected.

the concluding disposition of a “home network” would depend on whether an Apple TV without Ethernet port can assume to be a hub controller. An iPad can ? Can Apple TV without Ethernet port do that also? If it can , then back to square one.

one clear consequential login is to the TV store app with the supplied AppleID during setup. In my case clearly shows that the AppleID is used selectively and purposely to manipulate and control the user, network configuration and security of the “Home” of every user. Making this fundamental login procedure in the background, omitting the true structure and making it tedious to follow is nit an oversight , sloppy design, but rather a deliberate tool of manipulation

stop

your home Wi-Fi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.