You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Mini with 2011 iMac OR the new iMac 24 inch?

Hello! Wanting to get some opinions.. I bought the latest iMac 24 inch Apple M1 8GB w. 512GB SSD but wondering if it would have been better to just buy an iMac Mini to put with my iMac 2011 27inch that I already have. I can only update it to High Sierra but love the 27inch screen just needed an updated iMac. Still have time to return/exchange my new iMac. . Im very unfamiliar with iMac Mini's and of course would rather save money if I can. Thoughts? Thanks!!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 1:42 PM

Sorry, but no new iMac's or Mac mini's support using your 2011 iMac in Target Display Mode.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Your options include getting an aftermarket 27" display to use with the 24" M1 iMac or with a M1 Mac mini.

Connect an external display to your iMac - Apple Support

Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 26, 2022 1:42 PM in response to wcarter26

Sorry, but no new iMac's or Mac mini's support using your 2011 iMac in Target Display Mode.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Your options include getting an aftermarket 27" display to use with the 24" M1 iMac or with a M1 Mac mini.

Connect an external display to your iMac - Apple Support

Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

iMac Mini with 2011 iMac OR the new iMac 24 inch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.