You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app cannot load library even when creating a brand new libiary

I am getting this all the time.

The operation couldn’t be completed. The user is changing the system photo library

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 12:49 PM

I cannot even get the photos app to launch keeps giving me this error. I did it last night under iCloud settings to turn off photos. I am in process of deleting the library on both my external HDD and Photo library.

Tried creating another library in the photos with a library different name and was told "The operation couldn’t be completed. The user is changing the system photo library"

Is there a way to reinstall the Photos app or delete the preferences?

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2023 12:49 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

I cannot even get the photos app to launch keeps giving me this error. I did it last night under iCloud settings to turn off photos. I am in process of deleting the library on both my external HDD and Photo library.

Tried creating another library in the photos with a library different name and was told "The operation couldn’t be completed. The user is changing the system photo library"

Is there a way to reinstall the Photos app or delete the preferences?

Jan 1, 2023 7:12 AM in response to PokemonFan1987

It would be good to know a bit more about what is happening. Where are your libraries-- in the Pictures folder or on an external drive? Has this worked before, and the behavior is new? Anything changed? How are your Photos preferences set? Specifically,

In Photos>Preferences>General,

Is "Use as System Photo Library" grayed out (indicating it is) or solid (indicating this isn't your system library)?

Is "Copy Item to the Photos Library" checked? (This is the default, indicating a "Managed Library")

In Photos>Preferences>iCloud

Is "iCloud Photos" checked?

If it is, is "Optimize Mac Storage" check?

Before we get more information, we can suggest you try these things:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work is also diagnostic.

Have a Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2023 3:06 PM in response to PokemonFan1987

Could you let us know about the other things? You mentioned an external drive-- how is that formatted? It must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

Have you been using Photos before? Is the behavior new? Anything changed? Did you try re-starting in Safe Mode? What happened then? Did you try creating a new user and logging in there? Have you used any system-wide 3rd party software like virus checkers or drive cleaners?

It's hard to help without knowing the answers.

Jan 1, 2023 4:02 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

How is that formatted? MacOS Extended (Journaled) format.

Yes, I have always used photos before, even when it was called iPhotos. I tried safe mode and works now but been in sync with the cloud for almost 1 1/2 hours with no new photos that were taken from my other devices.

Edit: I am going to create an APFS partition to see if things change.

Photos app cannot load library even when creating a brand new libiary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.