You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email content is slow to load

When I am on my iMac, Mail messages appear in my inbox. When I click a message to open it, it can take several minutes for the content to appear. (This does not happen on my iPhone.) How can I fix this problem?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 12:29 PM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2023 5:49 PM in response to lizoka

Hello lizoka,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Let's try keeping the Mail app open and checking your sleep settings:

"Specify sleep and wake settings for a Mac desktop computer

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Energy Saver  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Do any of the following: 
    • Put hard disks to sleep: Turn on “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” on the right.
  • Update your system while it’s asleep: Turn on Enable Power Nap on the right.
  • Allow your Mac to wake briefly so users can access shared services (if applicable): Turn on “Wake for network access” on the right.

See Share your Mac resources when it’s in sleep."

More details can be found here: Specify sleep and wake settings for a Mac notebook computer

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? How is your computer connected to the internet? When did you first notice this? Also, which macOS version do you currently have installed?

Cheers!

Jan 9, 2023 10:47 AM in response to lizoka

Thank you for the reply lizoka!

Was anything updated or changed when this started occurring? Let's see if this occurs in safe mode. Starting up your Mac in safe mode can help you identify whether issues you’re experiencing are caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up. Take a look here on how you can boot in safe mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Keep us posted.

Jan 8, 2023 7:21 PM in response to Omar_A1

Thanks for trying to help.

I checked my settings, and all 3 items are checked:

put hard discs to sleep when possible; enable power nap; wake for network access.

I'm running Monterey 12.6.1.

I'm connected wirelessly to my home network via a router.

I first noticed the problem many weeks ago. Sorry, I didn't note the date.

Jan 9, 2023 11:15 AM in response to lizoka

There is a “Connection Doctor” when activated from Apples Mail app, from menu window, this will show information on things such as;

When it’s checking for mail

Sending mail

downloading 1 of X emails

it will also report if it’s having connection issues with connecting to your incoming/outgoing email server

If your seeing green leds for your email servers, that’s good

if there are yellow/red time to call your email provider and ask if they are experiencing email server issues. Also check with others if there are having the same issue.

You can have a situation where one might be able to get email, but not send. This is indicated by email setting in Outbox, which means it didn’t send right away and will try again.

Email content is slow to load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.