You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore a file w/ Time Machine

I'm looking to restore an earlier version of a file, so, after reading the Help topic on restoring files, I opened Finder, and searched for the file, (to get the file/folder open in Finder). Then, I opened Time Machine and, as the Help file noted, TM opened to the folder but it only shows about 2 days of history and the version I would like to restore would be older. How can I navigate/find an older version of the file to restore.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 9:36 AM

Was TM Backup configured to Automatic Backup on the predefined Configuration Schedule ?

Review info from below link

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support (CA)

Excerpt from above link

" Backup frequency and duration

Time Machine makes hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for all previous months. The oldest backups are deleted when your backup disk is full.

Beginning with macOS Ventura, you can change the backup frequency: Open Time Machine settings, click Options, then choose a setting from the “Back up frequency” menu.

The first backup might take a long time, but you can continue using your Mac while a backup is underway. Time Machine backs up only the files that changed since the previous backup, so future backups will be faster. "

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2023 9:36 AM in response to Moskose

Was TM Backup configured to Automatic Backup on the predefined Configuration Schedule ?

Review info from below link

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support (CA)

Excerpt from above link

" Backup frequency and duration

Time Machine makes hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for all previous months. The oldest backups are deleted when your backup disk is full.

Beginning with macOS Ventura, you can change the backup frequency: Open Time Machine settings, click Options, then choose a setting from the “Back up frequency” menu.

The first backup might take a long time, but you can continue using your Mac while a backup is underway. Time Machine backs up only the files that changed since the previous backup, so future backups will be faster. "

Restore a file w/ Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.