You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MY FILES ARE ERASED FROM DESKTOP & DOCUMENTS WITHOUT WARNING

I have a MacBook pro 16' model of 2020. I use Ventura 13.1

Files randomly are erased from my Desktop and Documents without any warning?

I read that this is caused because Desktop and Documents are synched in iCloud. Is that true?

How can I fix it? ..because all files are business docs?

thanks..

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 3:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 3:59 AM

Hello, it is true that both Desktop and Documents are enabled or disabled from iCloud, you can do it from the preferences.

The problem may be, how you manage iCloud information, if you manage it from another device and it has been deleted by mistake, since any movement is synchronized on all devices. Similarly there is an option called "Optimize storage" and it may be that if you have little space left, it is gone but it is in the cloud.

Check the recycle garbage can, in case it has been deleted by mistake. Objects in the iCloud trash are 30 days, I seem to remember.

I hope I helped you, greetings.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2023 3:59 AM in response to PBALHL

Hello, it is true that both Desktop and Documents are enabled or disabled from iCloud, you can do it from the preferences.

The problem may be, how you manage iCloud information, if you manage it from another device and it has been deleted by mistake, since any movement is synchronized on all devices. Similarly there is an option called "Optimize storage" and it may be that if you have little space left, it is gone but it is in the cloud.

Check the recycle garbage can, in case it has been deleted by mistake. Objects in the iCloud trash are 30 days, I seem to remember.

I hope I helped you, greetings.

Jan 20, 2023 4:02 AM in response to PBALHL

Items aren’t randomly deleted from desktop and documents because they are synced with iCloud.

If you have them synced with iCloud, and you delete the documents from another device, that is also synced to iCloud, they will delete off your Mac, too.

when synced to iCloud drive, and you have enabled, optimize storage, items may be uploaded to iCloud and a placeholder kept on your Mac, but the file won’t be deleted.

If files are randomly deleted, and none of the above apply I would suspect your drive is going bad.

MY FILES ARE ERASED FROM DESKTOP & DOCUMENTS WITHOUT WARNING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.