You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall MAC OS X El Capitan 10.11 ?

Hello, I've recently been given an iMac by a friend and I can't find a way to reinstall the OS on it, I have the same "this item is temporarily unavailable" message as everybody after typing my Apple ID. I know this is a frequent question and I looked tons of topics about it but nothing worked for me.

What I've tryed so far:

Put an older date then try to reinstall -> gives me a message that says "an error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again"

Booting an USB with El Capitan on it -> whatever keys i'm pressing after starting the mac it boots as usual and I can't launch the install from the USB

Clicking find help online and log into icloud on safari with the same Apple ID -> the icloud page never load but other pages would load if i'm typing another research

Starting the mac and holding cmd + opt + r or any other commands -> starts as usual, no globe, no Apple logo without loading bar, just the usual starting that brings me into the macOS Utilities

Erasing the hard drive -> no difference it's already empty anyway

So far I think this is all the solutions I could find on the differents topics. I tryed to put it as clear as I could but if anybody would need more information i'll do my best to provide them. I'm running out of hope and really wish someone could help me find a way out of this.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 4:13 AM

I was and yes i'm using a wired keyboard.

I just fixed it, turns out the tutorial I've watched to create a bootable usb was incomplete, I found another one and changed the date in the terminal before running the installation and it finally worked. Thanks for your response tho

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2023 4:13 AM in response to BDAqua

I was and yes i'm using a wired keyboard.

I just fixed it, turns out the tutorial I've watched to create a bootable usb was incomplete, I found another one and changed the date in the terminal before running the installation and it finally worked. Thanks for your response tho

Jan 24, 2023 12:28 PM in response to Taqqumi

Booting an USB with El Capitan on it -> whatever keys i'm pressing after starting the mac it boots as usual and I can't launch the install from the USB

Are you holding option key at startup & choosing to boot from the USB stick?

Are you using a Wired USB KB? Wireless KBs often fail to see the keys until too late.

How to reinstall MAC OS X El Capitan 10.11 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.