You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MAC no longer back up my files to my external hard drive?

Why does my MAC refuse to back up my files to my External Hard drive?

I only upgraded my OS and now I have a program called 'Time Machine" that won't recognise my disk.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 7:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 8:28 AM

The support article you came here from should provide you with the steps needed to try to resolve this issue. Have you tried them all yet? If so, and they didn't help, I suggest that you contact Apple Support directly. To do so, simply

select the "Support" link in the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2023 8:28 AM in response to AndyWarner77

The support article you came here from should provide you with the steps needed to try to resolve this issue. Have you tried them all yet? If so, and they didn't help, I suggest that you contact Apple Support directly. To do so, simply

select the "Support" link in the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page.

Feb 2, 2023 7:57 AM in response to AndyWarner77

<< I only upgraded my OS >>

Sometimes that confuses Time Machine into thinking the current computer is not the same one that made the backups.

To fix, you tell Time Machine you want to INHERIT the existing backups. This implies you are taking them over and using them going forward.

Time Machine - "Inherit Backup History" -… - Apple Community

Why does my MAC no longer back up my files to my external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.