You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari password Autofill timeout duration

I want to use iCloud Keychain to store/Autofill web passwords in Safari. What is the standard timeout period for Safari to ask me to re-enter my master password for it to autofill? I am concerned that if someone were to access my computer a couple hours after I autofill a password in Safari, they would be able to simply go to any website where I have a password saved and login without an issue. I assume there is a timeout duration, but I can't find any reference to it in official documentation. What am I missing?

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 7:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 5:38 AM

Set your Mac to log out when not in use - Apple Support provides one solution; the other one is to manually

put your Mac to sleep: Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support.

Unless you were to put the Mac to sleep or log out from your User Account, there is no way for a Mac to know you stepped away from it a moment leaving it potentially wide open to anyone else wanting to use it as though he were you. Logging in with a password or Touch ID authorizes you as a legitimate user.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2023 5:38 AM in response to mschirma

Set your Mac to log out when not in use - Apple Support provides one solution; the other one is to manually

put your Mac to sleep: Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support.

Unless you were to put the Mac to sleep or log out from your User Account, there is no way for a Mac to know you stepped away from it a moment leaving it potentially wide open to anyone else wanting to use it as though he were you. Logging in with a password or Touch ID authorizes you as a legitimate user.

Safari password Autofill timeout duration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.