You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Word on my desktop Mac and would like to put it on my laptop Mac

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 10:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 3:12 PM

Before you do anything, sign into your Microsoft account and see if it shows an entry for your installed MS Office suite that was installed by Best buy. If it is not there, then call Best Buy, or Microsoft as the following procedure will not work without an existing product purchase entry in your Microsoft account.

If you do have a purchase entry in your Microsoft account for the current Office installed on your iMac then proceed with the following:

Uninstall MS Office for Mac

When you are done, reboot that Mac.

On the destination Mac, sign into your Microsoft account and click Install for the appropriate Office Suite. Since Microsoft already knows the license key from your purchase, all you need to do after installation is open and run MS Word, check for updates, and Microsoft will automatically reconcile your product key so you don't have to enter it.

In the last month, I just used the preceding approach to move Office 2021 for Mac Home and Business from my MacBook Pro M1 to my new M2 Mac mini.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2023 3:12 PM in response to harmonica3

Before you do anything, sign into your Microsoft account and see if it shows an entry for your installed MS Office suite that was installed by Best buy. If it is not there, then call Best Buy, or Microsoft as the following procedure will not work without an existing product purchase entry in your Microsoft account.

If you do have a purchase entry in your Microsoft account for the current Office installed on your iMac then proceed with the following:

Uninstall MS Office for Mac

When you are done, reboot that Mac.

On the destination Mac, sign into your Microsoft account and click Install for the appropriate Office Suite. Since Microsoft already knows the license key from your purchase, all you need to do after installation is open and run MS Word, check for updates, and Microsoft will automatically reconcile your product key so you don't have to enter it.

In the last month, I just used the preceding approach to move Office 2021 for Mac Home and Business from my MacBook Pro M1 to my new M2 Mac mini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.