You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock and Menu Bar floating off display area

Just upgraded to OS 13.2.1 - which probably has nothing to do with this issue

my dock, which usually resides at the bottom of my screen, has floated down below the display area. if I take my cursor all the way down to the bottom, it floats back up but then the menu bar floats off the top - and they both seem to extend too far horizontally.

I can temporarily correct each individual issue by moving the cursor to it.

System Preferences > Desktop & Dock > ‘Automatically hide and show the Dock’ is unchecked.

I tried all four screen resolutions, no change.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 2:28 PM

Claude Crider wrote:

my dock, which usually resides at the bottom of my screen, has floated down below the display area. if I take my cursor all the way down to the bottom, it floats back up but then the menu bar floats off the top - and they both seem to extend too far horizontally.

System Preferences > Desktop & Dock > ‘Automatically hide and show the Dock’ is unchecked.

In Full Screen the Dock is always hidden / menu bar is an option. (See the green pill button*)

You can try a safeboot to clear certain system cache files and will sort many anomalies

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support login and test,

reboot as normal and compare your results

if no change toggle the changes and test, then reset them to your preferred settings.

>System Settings>Desktop & Dock

Change Desktop & Dock settings on Mac - Apple Support

*Use apps in full screen on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2023 2:28 PM in response to Claude Crider

Claude Crider wrote:

In Full Screen the Dock is always hidden / menu bar is an option. (See the green pill button*)

You can try a safeboot to clear certain system cache files and will sort many anomalies

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support login and test,

reboot as normal and compare your results

if no change toggle the changes and test, then reset them to your preferred settings.

>System Settings>Desktop & Dock

Change Desktop & Dock settings on Mac - Apple Support

*Use apps in full screen on Mac - Apple Support

Dock and Menu Bar floating off display area

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.