You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification badge on Messages says 1 unread message, but there isn't any

On one of my Macs (macOS 13.0), the Messages app shows a notification of "1".

However, I see no unread messages. Furthermore, the other devices (another Mac and an iPhone) which share the same iCloud account show zero unread messages.

I have tried:

• Restarting the computer
  • Turning off Messages in iCloud and turning it back on
  • Logging out of iCloud and logging back in

MacBook Air (M2)

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 3:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 4:17 PM

I was able to solve this by right-clicking on the Messages app in the Dock. The menu included an item labeled "Empty conversation (1 unread)". When I selected that, it took me to a conversation which wasn't in the list. And now the notification has disappeared.

Clearly, there's some kind of bug, but I guess I've escaped it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2023 4:17 PM in response to Jonathan Hurshman

I was able to solve this by right-clicking on the Messages app in the Dock. The menu included an item labeled "Empty conversation (1 unread)". When I selected that, it took me to a conversation which wasn't in the list. And now the notification has disappeared.

Clearly, there's some kind of bug, but I guess I've escaped it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Notification badge on Messages says 1 unread message, but there isn't any

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.