You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPad Pro

I just got a new iPad Pro. I also have an iPad Air. The charging cable that comes with them is too short. They do not make a longer cable with regular USB on one end and USB-c on the other. I bought a generic one for my air and for some reason it charges incredibly slow. I read that some charging cords will not charge properly. Can anyone suggest a longer cord with the specs above that will charge my new pro as quickly as the one that comes with it?

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 6:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 7:05 PM

You will need a 20W or higher USB-C Charger and a USB-C to USB-C cable.

If you use a USB-C to USB cable then there will not be fast charging on the iPad Pro (as you are experiencing).

Example of 20W USB-C Charger 👉 Buy 20W USB-C Power Adapter - Apple

Example of USB-C to USB-C Cable 👉 USB-C Charge Cable (2 m) - Apple

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2023 7:05 PM in response to sylviefrommonroeville

You will need a 20W or higher USB-C Charger and a USB-C to USB-C cable.

If you use a USB-C to USB cable then there will not be fast charging on the iPad Pro (as you are experiencing).

Example of 20W USB-C Charger 👉 Buy 20W USB-C Power Adapter - Apple

Example of USB-C to USB-C Cable 👉 USB-C Charge Cable (2 m) - Apple

Axel F.

Apr 2, 2023 9:15 PM in response to sylviefrommonroeville

sylviefrommonroeville wrote:
Does apple have a usb-c to usb adapter?

Sure, but it wouldn't really make that much sense just to charge and that would probably limit the charge current since it's USB-A. It really wouldn't help much if your intent is to just use that cable, because it would just revert to USB-A performance - I'm thinking 5V at maybe 2.4A?

For your application it should be fine to get a longer aftermarket USB-C to USB-C cable using the 20W Apple power adapter that came with your iPad Pro. I have a few 6 ft and 10 ft USB-C cables (rated for 5A current) marketed by Monoprice. I got them at a pretty good price (usually under US $5 on Amazon) but the price varies (and can be volatile) based on the color. I prefer the Monoprice Stealth. They have several options including standard 3A (should be fine for an iPad Pro) and 5A.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38801

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Stealth-Charge-Type-C-Cable/dp/B084HP46ZQ/

Charging iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.