You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus popup

How to get rid of a persistent virus popup. I have run antivirus; safe mode; etc. Macs don't get viruses, right? Let's see if this post is deleted.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 7:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 5:46 PM

Please check: Safari > Settings > Websites > Notifications, as shown in the screenshot below.

Remove all sites that have been permitted to send notifications.

9 replies

Apr 15, 2023 5:55 PM in response to pkmusic

I've run Malwarebytes twice and then deleted it. The first time I ran it, it detected PUP.systweak. This is why I deleted Photos Duplicator Pro. Etrecheck finds nothing of consequence except these 90 Safari notifications. I can simply wipe the drive - but I'm quite concerned for any other users out there suffering from this. I can post the EtreCheck report but I can't see anything in it that is problematic. Should I raise this with Apple? File a report?

Apr 14, 2023 7:38 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks. I had already deleted it after the scan. I have never run AV, in my history of 30+ Macs. I do often install Malwarebytes on PCs and then delete it after it finds the virus, so I tried that on this Mac. RE Post delete: ummm . . because I said that I consider Ventura to be less than what I expect from a Mac? Bots. Is there a program that can actually locate this thing? I've looked in all the usual locations; and can't see it in Activity Monitor either. It comes and goes in a flash. Very annoying. Might have been Duplicate Photos Cleaner Pro? I have deleted that too. Really persistent. Looked in Safari but it appears without Safari running.

Apr 15, 2023 6:12 PM in response to stedman1

That's the fix. I had to run Etrecheck again to see if they had stopped. Thank you so much. I hope your response spreads, because I searched a long time on this. I recently helped a friend with their red-flagged (blacklisted) website and thought that on a Mac I was OK. I wonder if Apple might patch this. I'm pretty certain I would have refused any request for notifications. So perhaps there are sites which can bypass this now. Thanks again. Saved me a lot of work because I was ready to wipe the drive. Very grateful.

Virus popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.