You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MY photos are synced across all of my devices except one where it says "6 photos on this mac only". How do I find those in 15,000?

MY photos are synced across all of my devices except one where it says "6 photos on this mac only". How do I find those in 15,000?

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 4:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 1:22 AM

The items "On this Mac only" may have been imported without copying them into the library on import. Or the original image files are missing.

To find them, create a smart album with the rule "Photo is referenced" as described here: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

"If you see "Items on This Mac Only"

If you set up Photos to allow referenced files, which are photos and videos stored outside of your library, Photos counts those as “Items on This Mac Only.” If you want to consolidate those items into your library so that they can be uploaded to iCloud Photos and available to your other devices, follow these steps:

1. From the menu bar in Photos, choose File > New Smart Album.
    2. Name the Smart Album “Referenced” and set the conditions to “Photo is referenced.” Click OK.
    3. Select the Referenced album in the sidebar.
    4. Press Command-A to select all items in the album, then choose File > Consolidate.

"

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2023 1:22 AM in response to carolwhite725

The items "On this Mac only" may have been imported without copying them into the library on import. Or the original image files are missing.

To find them, create a smart album with the rule "Photo is referenced" as described here: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

"If you see "Items on This Mac Only"

If you set up Photos to allow referenced files, which are photos and videos stored outside of your library, Photos counts those as “Items on This Mac Only.” If you want to consolidate those items into your library so that they can be uploaded to iCloud Photos and available to your other devices, follow these steps:

1. From the menu bar in Photos, choose File > New Smart Album.
    2. Name the Smart Album “Referenced” and set the conditions to “Photo is referenced.” Click OK.
    3. Select the Referenced album in the sidebar.
    4. Press Command-A to select all items in the album, then choose File > Consolidate.

"

Apr 17, 2023 7:45 AM in response to léonie

Super helpful except for one thing, when I consolidate I get the message: "Missing File: Photos with unavailable original files cannot be opened. The original photo “FamilyAlbumDryforkDistrict.jpg” is either offline or cannot be found. Click “Find Original” to reconnect."When I tell it to find the original, it finds it on my desktop but greyed out unable to click itBUT, at least I know which ones it wants. Thank you so much!

Apr 17, 2023 9:14 AM in response to carolwhite725

You may want to try this:

If you can see the file on your Desktop, try to reimport it to Photos, even if Photos complains about a duplicate.

Then copy the titles and other metadata you may have changed from the broken version to the newly imported one and delete the one you cannot consolidate. Just be sure, that you have set the option "Photos > > Settings (or Preferences) > General > Importing" to "Copy items into the Library".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.