You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini can't find my new printer

I just setup/registered a new Canon Pixma MG2522 printer, but Printers/Scanners insist "no printer available." The Setup acknowledged printer and computer were connected, yet System info says printer list is empty, and clicking "+" to Add shows nothing to add. I've restarted both the printer and my MacMini (O/S 10.13.6), but nothing changed.

I've a feeling this is something stoopid simple, but being even stoopider, I can't figure it out. Can anyone help?

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 12:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 5:16 AM

Jan, Some combination of pulling power cord and USB cable, plus running First Aid, then re-installing drivers from the direct link you provided originally did the trick: I'm now printing. Thanks so very much for your help! I truly appreciate it.

5 replies

Apr 17, 2023 1:05 PM in response to YeOldeLuddite

Hi,

Are you using the drivers from Canon?

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mg2522

( -> DOWNLOADS -> Software & Drivers -> Operating System Mac -> Version macOS High Sierra v10.13 -> )

If necessary, reset the printing system and re-add the printer:

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Apr 17, 2023 4:36 PM in response to YeOldeLuddite

Thank you for the information. Sorry, no immediate idea.

Does a nozzle check show that the printer as such is working?

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/M/MG2500%20series/EN/BG/bg-maintenance1200.html

Have you tried another USB cable? Do you have access to a second Mac (or possibly PC) in order to verify that the printer communicates OK?

A safe boot, followed by a normal startup, may also be worth trying.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Apr 17, 2023 2:21 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan, Thanks so much for your reply. Yep, I downloaded the appropriate drivers from Canon; Setup confirmed they've been installed, but the system hasn't found the printer automatically as with previous printers. Also, I reset the printing system (to remove the printer the new one is replacing, so it's empty). I'm connected with a USB cable not WiFi.

This Mac is at the limit of its O/S updates, but I ran an availability scan just to make sure, yet my new MG2522 doesn't show up in System Preferences when I attempt to add. Can you offer some additional suggestions?

Mac Mini can't find my new printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.