You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot recognize or add printer

Using a Canon imageclass MF236n with mac os 10.13.6.

Cannot get this mac to recognize the printer. Rest printing system and I cannot add any new printers--nothing appears in the printer list when you type in the search box and everything is greyed out. There are no files in the library/printers folder at all. Everything was working fine until the other day when I started getting "filter failed" errors--no software updates at all. There are no printer drivers in the printer list at all. I've gone through this BS many times (because Macs haha) having to reset and reinstall canon drivers etc, but this time it's different. Used different printer cables and a brand new one as well. Seems like a total failure of the printing system.

What now?

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 12:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 1:19 PM

Stockdizzle Said:

There are no printer drivers in the printer list at all.

Contacting support is the best way when it comes to troubleshooting the printers inoperability.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 26, 2019 3:15 PM in response to Stockdizzle

Well, MacOS 10.15 is coming out. So, wait and see what happens with that.

My only other thoughts are to create a new administrator and try printing it that way. If it works (being able to print and all else), then it’s obviously something to do with the current user you are logged into.

As to why it would just stop working, all I can think of is that it is either compatibility with software, or just the printer itself. So, contact Canon and see if it is something going on that they are are of (use the second link in my first reply).

If nothing above is successful, then contact Apple and ask to perform a screensharing session with them. That way they can see this firsthand from you perspective, and how to go about fixing this issue:

Apple Contact Info

Sep 1, 2019 6:11 PM in response to Stockdizzle

Stockdizzle Said:

"Checked and according to Apple it's not on the list of supported printers. Not sure how it just decided to stop working though."

-------

Contact Canon: Check about this compatibly issue, from the Manufacturer: Canon. Not Apple.

-----

Try This: reinstall the macOS

For Note: If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All original files and Apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact. So, to get this to work, first rid of it from your list of printers, then reinstall the macOS.

Aug 26, 2019 1:23 PM in response to TheLittles

Doesn't help me at all. I've reinstalled those drivers multiple times and they do not work. This is an Apple problem as far as i can tell, or Canon isn't making new updates because they don't want to deal with Apple, which I totally get (because apple is the absolute worst). What makes no sense is that this was a closed environment--I don't know how this could have happened unless it was something in the OS itself.

Cannot recognize or add printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.