You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac product for processing photo's while traveling that's lighter than my MacBook Pro 13"?

Hello! I've currently traveling with a MacBook Pro and a Sony camera. I have a travel blog and post photo's for friends and family. In Borneo, I took several thousand photo's.

My goal over the years has been to reduce the weight and bulk of my travel gear. I successfully took a small 35 liter backpack which held everything I needed for nearly 2 months of travel. In addition, I have a Gossamer pack which carries my camera, laptop, phone, batteries, storage drive and all the things I want to keep secure with me while traveling.

I'm looking for an alternative to the heavy MacBook for processing photo's and posting to my blog? To be even more clear, I don't want to process all the photo's! I want to select a few highlights that I can use with blog post and save the bulk of photo's for editing at home.

Recently, someone at the Apple store was recommending an iPad pro but with stand, keyboard, etc...so it was essentially the same weight as I currently have.

What produce would be lighter than the MacBook Pro 13" and give me the flexibility of basic editing and writing to my blog post. One other factor...I'm 6'4" so a big guy. Tiny wireless keypads haven't worked well for me. However, I am a good typist so there might be a version that would work.

Thank you for any ideas! Below is the sort of image, this one from a Bali sunrise motorbike ride, that I work with.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 8:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 10:52 PM

I am using the MacBook Air with a 13,6" Display for working with my photos while travelling and are very happy with it. Its weight is only 1.24 kg. MacBook Air mit M2 Chip - Technische Daten - Apple (DE)

I tried to use an iPad Pro 11" with M2 chip instead, but it is also heavy, when I have to carry an additional keyboard. I cannot do without a Mac, as it is too cumbersome to be limited to full-screen apps.

The advantage of an iPad Pro would be a large, brilliant display, less weight (only 468 g), a fast processor. MacBook Air mit M2 Chip - Technische Daten - Apple (DE) And together with the Apple pencil you can easily brush in local adjustments, if you can find an app that support it and that you like. i have not yet found an app that will run on my iPad and offer the adjustments I like.

My attempt at saving weight has resulted in having to carry more - in addition to carrying my MacBook Air, my iPhone, my Apple Watch plus chargers I now have to carry the iPad Pro plus chargers as well, because I do not like to leave it behind.😄

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2023 10:52 PM in response to Larrycreativeguy

I am using the MacBook Air with a 13,6" Display for working with my photos while travelling and are very happy with it. Its weight is only 1.24 kg. MacBook Air mit M2 Chip - Technische Daten - Apple (DE)

I tried to use an iPad Pro 11" with M2 chip instead, but it is also heavy, when I have to carry an additional keyboard. I cannot do without a Mac, as it is too cumbersome to be limited to full-screen apps.

The advantage of an iPad Pro would be a large, brilliant display, less weight (only 468 g), a fast processor. MacBook Air mit M2 Chip - Technische Daten - Apple (DE) And together with the Apple pencil you can easily brush in local adjustments, if you can find an app that support it and that you like. i have not yet found an app that will run on my iPad and offer the adjustments I like.

My attempt at saving weight has resulted in having to carry more - in addition to carrying my MacBook Air, my iPhone, my Apple Watch plus chargers I now have to carry the iPad Pro plus chargers as well, because I do not like to leave it behind.😄

Apr 26, 2023 10:59 AM in response to Larrycreativeguy

Photos on the iPad does not have tools to manage RAW&JPEG pairs. All this is easier on any Mac - macBook Pro or MacBook Air. I used to have a MacBook Pro for traveling, but prefer now the MacBook Air, when on the road. The main drawback of the MacBook Air compared to the MacBook Pro is the lack of ports to connect external drives, also there is no card reader slot. There are only two ports to connect USB devices or a card reader. It is a bit limiting to have just two USB ports. I cannot keep the Time Machine volume connected, plug in the card reader, and still have two ports for external volumes to archive new photos and make a backup copy of the new photos. I would have to bring a USB Hub along as well.

I am buying my Macs with 2TB internal storage, my iPad has also two 2TB of storage. That does suffice to keep the new photos on my internal drives, but I am also making backup copies on a small, portable drive. and I do not erase the cards of the camera while I am traveling.

Apr 26, 2023 11:00 AM in response to léonie

Thank you! Do you know if there is Image Capture available for iPad?

I'm leaning toward the MacBook Air now. I can manage any heavy editing with my MacBook Pro when I get home if need be.

I travel with a 8x1 hub, USB-C connection, that has a card slot. That helps! Found a tiny SSD 2TB drive that weigh ounces so that is my backup. Figuring out the simplest system. I appreciate your feedback!

Apr 26, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

There is so much to carry already - the devices, the chargers, the adapters, the external disks for keeping backups - by now I think it is easier to carry a macBook Pro, that has all the ports I need, including a card reader slot, instead of a MacBook Air with an additional card reader, a HUB, adapters and a long power bar with plenty of sockets to plug in the chargers. When travelling, we do nat just have to carry all the equipment, we have to keep track of all parts of the equipment.

Live would be so easy, if we would not need a different charger for each device - mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Air Pods, camera.

Apr 30, 2023 7:04 PM in response to léonie

Hello! I've been continuously minimizing over the many years of travel. When I was in Costa Rica, I suffered from cords and chargers and such! Once home, I found an Anker charger that works for everything! MacBook Pro included. So, not, I have one charger but take an extra along for airports which is an Anker Nano..fast charging for phone or iPad. Bulk and weight are issues for me. I can save photo's and edit once I'm home but still want the ability to minimally edit and share with friends through my blog or social media. That's what I'm looking into! When I was planning my Camino walk (which covid cancelled), I was taking a small Sony camera (with wifi/wireless capability) and my iPad mini for the most basic of posting. Thanks for the feedback!

May 1, 2023 2:52 AM in response to Larrycreativeguy

One charger for all devices is great, but only when we are staying at locations with power supply available around the clock.

I like roughing it, camping out in the wild or staying in national parks, where there is not always power available. At some lodges I could only charge my devices for a few hours a day, when the generators were running, shortly before dinner time. Then I have to use the opportunity to charge all devices at the same time and need a separate charger for each device. And even in a hotel room, with 24 hours of electricity available, it is no joy to have to charge the devices one at a time over night, first the camera batteries, then Mac, then the iPhone, my gaming GPS tracker to record GPS tracks, then the Air Pods, then the iPad. I would have to get up several times over night just to switch the charger between devices. That is why I am always carrying a power bar with at least six sockets, so I can charge all devices at the same time.

Mac product for processing photo's while traveling that's lighter than my MacBook Pro 13"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.