You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way in macOS Ventura (13.3.1) to know the number of files on a disk?

I always separate my system and applications on 1 SSD and all my current data on another.

In (very?) old macOS you could see that number by selecting the disk then with cmd+i. 

Is there a way to get this info today? … even if it will take a while?

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 12, 2023 11:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 5:14 PM

DLWorldCitizen wrote:

And what do you mean by "Same as before"?

In a manner completely identical to the way it worked in previous years?

You can only get the number of files if you perform "Get Info" on a folder, then it will give you the number of files. It doesn't do that for Volumes. I don't know if it ever did. I just checked High Sierra, and it worked the same way there.

You can get the number of files in a volume using Disk Utility. Select the volume and choose "Get Info".

While in Disk Utility, look at how the file system is organized. You'll notice that there already is "Startup Snapshot". That's the system volume. It's on an encrypted, read-only snapshot. There is also a "Data" volume. That's your data volume.

If you have some kind of additional system or disk-level organization imposed on top of that, then, at best, you're wasting your time. I don't know what you mean about transferring all your data to someone else without risk. It sounds like there might be more risk than you are aware of.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2023 5:14 PM in response to DLWorldCitizen

DLWorldCitizen wrote:

In a manner completely identical to the way it worked in previous years?

You can only get the number of files if you perform "Get Info" on a folder, then it will give you the number of files. It doesn't do that for Volumes. I don't know if it ever did. I just checked High Sierra, and it worked the same way there.

You can get the number of files in a volume using Disk Utility. Select the volume and choose "Get Info".

While in Disk Utility, look at how the file system is organized. You'll notice that there already is "Startup Snapshot". That's the system volume. It's on an encrypted, read-only snapshot. There is also a "Data" volume. That's your data volume.

If you have some kind of additional system or disk-level organization imposed on top of that, then, at best, you're wasting your time. I don't know what you mean about transferring all your data to someone else without risk. It sounds like there might be more risk than you are aware of.

May 12, 2023 1:19 PM in response to etresoft

Where do you see the number of files?

Look at the included partial screen-dump of the info view (the number of files should be in the § General)..

So where do you see the number of files a volume contains?

As for the reason why separate, I'm afraid you won't agree, because it's exactly the opposite of your idea.

If you've time and curious enough, here is it:

When i want to take a backup, I only have to backup the DATA disk, and the SYSTEM disk only when big changes occur. I can easily disconnect my data when any update or other situation involving a third party, or an action taking a lot of time happens. Idem if I'm not 100% sure of a certain internet connexion, etc. etc. etc.

Other advantages include space (I Don't need a 2 or more TB disk to backup what is most important to me) and integrity. I can also easily transfer all my data to someone (or somewhere) else without any risk

In short: since 3 decades now, it makes my life much easier and last-but-not-least: I can see how a) the system evolves and the b) the data… except how much files (just out of curiosity) each take.

And if you enjoy fusion, that's fine for me too.

But the question remains: where (or how) do you see the number of files?

May 12, 2023 11:37 AM in response to DLWorldCitizen

DLWorldCitizen wrote:

I always separate my system and applications on 1 SSD and all my current data on another.
In (very?) old macOS you could see that number by selecting the disk then with cmd+i. 
Is there a way to get this info today? … even if it will take a while?

Sure. Same way as before.

However, I don't know what you are talking about with respect to separating your system and applications. macOS already does that and has for some time. If you have tried to add your own system separation on top of that then you are likely unnecessarily complicating your life.

May 13, 2023 3:29 AM in response to etresoft

I’m very grateful to you. I didn’t know that DISK UTILITY gave that info. So my question is solved!

I’ve learned that to GET INFO you have to click on the question mark, which, for me (and I guess I'm not the only one), means GET HELP not GET INFO.

Detail 1: I was curious about the number of files indicated in a folder so I checked the number of files shown in GET INFO about a folder and indeed ALL files in all subfolders are included too. Great!

Detail 2: About my disk organisation I clearly can’t explain it to you. Just know that it makes my work on computer MUCH  EASIER and I am GAINING time not wasting!!

Have a nice day!

May 13, 2023 8:12 AM in response to DLWorldCitizen

You can use

/bin/df /Volumes/*

and look at the iused column, which will be a very rough approximation for the number of files in the volume. It is not 100% the file count, as nodes may be used for some other file system tasks, but the primary use is for files, devices, symlinks, names pipes, sockets, etc... with files being the biggest consumer by far.

And rather than separate your files on your own, suggest you get a better backup utility, such as Carbon Copy Cloner that can do subdirectory trees, instead of the entire volume. There are other backup utilities that can do this as well.

May 13, 2023 9:49 AM in response to BobHarris

Using "Terminal" (the name of the app you forgot to mention) is far too difficult for me. Disk Utility is much easier, especially now I discovered that i only need to hit the ? and… scroll down (because unfortunately that app (like most apps) doesn't take into account the size of ly minitor).

And, I AM using CCC. Thanks anyway; your contribution may help others.

Is there a way in macOS Ventura (13.3.1) to know the number of files on a disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.