You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external audio output fails on Mac mini 2023

what could cause external audio output failure on my new Mac mini

Posted on May 19, 2023 7:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 9:01 AM

I use external speakers connected to the headphone jack. In settings it did not show any external devices. I had just updated the OS so I thought that might have something to do with the problem. After a restart the problem is solved for now. I should have thought to try that before asking for help. Thanks for your reply.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2023 9:01 AM in response to den.thed

I use external speakers connected to the headphone jack. In settings it did not show any external devices. I had just updated the OS so I thought that might have something to do with the problem. After a restart the problem is solved for now. I should have thought to try that before asking for help. Thanks for your reply.

Mar 20, 2024 6:25 AM in response to Jim Chubbuck

Running Sonoma 14.3.1 on a Mac mini M1. I have multiple sound devices including a professional headset. In my user profile I am unable to have the sound output go to the headset. Rather, the sound output goes to the Mac mini speakers. I have done a reinstall of the OS and an Apple Support agent had me remove a number of pid files. This problem does not occur on a newly created user profile. This Glitch only occurs when I pick up an incoming call to my Iphone on the Mac mini. Any suggestions short of starting from scratch. (backing up everything and reinstalling everything a chore I "loath". Thanks for taking the time to read this.

external audio output fails on Mac mini 2023

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.