You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop auto-opening jpg and 1 page pdf attachments in mail

Hi,

when I receive an email with an JPG attachment or a 1 page PDF attachment, Mail automatically opens these attachments. I don't like that, I want that all attachments stay unopened and appear as an icon.

I am sure I am not alone in this. I hope someone has a fix for this issue!

Thanks in advance!

Tom Berends

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 20, 2023 11:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2023 9:04 AM

One thing I've noticed is that this solution only works if a person is creating a new email. I wonder if there is a way to force single page attachments to always display as an icon for all emails that are received rather than ones being created?

3 replies

May 21, 2023 6:16 AM in response to Lengerke

Lengerke wrote:

Hi,

when I receive an email with an JPG attachment or a 1 page PDF attachment, Mail automatically opens these attachments. I don't like that, I want that all attachments stay unopened and appear as an icon.

I am sure I am not alone in this. I hope someone has a fix for this issue!

Thanks in advance!
Tom Berends

"Some attachments—like images or one-page PDF documents—are displayed directly in the message. If you’d rather view the attachment as an icon, Control-click it, then choose View as Icon from the shortcut menu. To display the attachment again, Control-click it, then choose View in Place."

ref: View, save, or delete email attachments in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

You can submit your Apple Feedback direct to the product team, here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

How to stop auto-opening jpg and 1 page pdf attachments in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.