You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2009 24” IMac with a new M2 mini mac

Can I use my early 2009 24” IMac with a new M2 mini mac?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 21, 2023 12:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2023 12:34 PM

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and Target Display mode is no longer a feature of macOS, having been deprecated several years ago.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Your target iMac (monitor) must be using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

However, you might consider a third-party solution, for example: Luna Display or Duet Display, though I can’t speak for the performance of those.

Do yourself a favor, avoid the headache and just budget an extra $100 for a monitor. 

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2023 12:34 PM in response to dundeelad

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and Target Display mode is no longer a feature of macOS, having been deprecated several years ago.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Your target iMac (monitor) must be using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

However, you might consider a third-party solution, for example: Luna Display or Duet Display, though I can’t speak for the performance of those.

Do yourself a favor, avoid the headache and just budget an extra $100 for a monitor. 

Early 2009 24” IMac with a new M2 mini mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.