You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac height

My IMac is too high and my neck aches when I use it. If cannot raise my chair my legs can’t go under desk. Are there any options?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 23, 2023 10:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 9:58 AM

Do you wear bifocal glasses that are forcing you tilt your head? Even with normal desk heights I had to tilt my head back to see though the bifocal section. The neck strain after a long day had me in physical therapy.

I now have dedicated computer glasses and a happy neck. If you need only correct for using the computer, cheap readers are under under US$20 for ones with comfortable frames and under US$10 for those intended for masochists.

Whatever you do, DO NOT consider cutting a hole in the desktop to make the iMac sit lower. The air intake vents are on the bottom edge of the case:

That factory distance between the vents and the desktop must be maintained. Even reducing the distance by an inch can cause internal temperatures to rise, eventually shortening the computer's life.

Until 2012 the iMac stand was quick-detachable, not requiring any disassembly. That convenient feature, like others, was sacrificed at the Altar of Minimalist Design in 2012. However, there are VESA-type mount that attach to the existing or clasp the display so they do not require removing the stand. This one is discontinued but shows a picture of the concept:

https://www.ergomart.com/imac-mount-adapter

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2023 9:58 AM in response to mabellucy

Do you wear bifocal glasses that are forcing you tilt your head? Even with normal desk heights I had to tilt my head back to see though the bifocal section. The neck strain after a long day had me in physical therapy.

I now have dedicated computer glasses and a happy neck. If you need only correct for using the computer, cheap readers are under under US$20 for ones with comfortable frames and under US$10 for those intended for masochists.

Whatever you do, DO NOT consider cutting a hole in the desktop to make the iMac sit lower. The air intake vents are on the bottom edge of the case:

That factory distance between the vents and the desktop must be maintained. Even reducing the distance by an inch can cause internal temperatures to rise, eventually shortening the computer's life.

Until 2012 the iMac stand was quick-detachable, not requiring any disassembly. That convenient feature, like others, was sacrificed at the Altar of Minimalist Design in 2012. However, there are VESA-type mount that attach to the existing or clasp the display so they do not require removing the stand. This one is discontinued but shows a picture of the concept:

https://www.ergomart.com/imac-mount-adapter

May 24, 2023 5:21 AM in response to mabellucy

I made a custom desk for my wife: two two-drawer file cabinets and a nice piece of veneered plywood; finished as she specifies. I adjusted dest top height to her exact specs Ising wedges under the fie cabinets. We augmented that by buying a desk type high backed chair, we musth have tried 100 it seems, that put her knees at the right height. We also bought an inclined footrest she uses from time to time..

iMac height

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.