You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

x2 iMac late 2013 running Catalina - How to use one as an extended screen to the other?

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me here.

I have x2 iMac late 2013 running Catalina, I wanted to connect the two together using one as an extended screen to the other, I have a Thunderbolt cable between the two, but I still don't see an option for this. I have checked the 'System Info' 'System Report' and can see that on both iMac that the Thunderbolt entry in hardware shows an active connection - Device Connected, shows cable firmware as 1.0.16 and a valid serial number for the Apple Thunderbolt cable (which cost a small fortune!).

Please, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 2:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 3:46 AM

RE: One of the iMacs has to be downgraded to High Sierra.

Specifically, the Late 2013 iMac that is going to act as a Thunderbolt TDM display has to be running High Sierra or earlier. Downgrade one iMac to High Sierra, and try to use the one running Catalina as a TDM display, and things still won't work.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2023 3:46 AM in response to dialabrain

RE: One of the iMacs has to be downgraded to High Sierra.

Specifically, the Late 2013 iMac that is going to act as a Thunderbolt TDM display has to be running High Sierra or earlier. Downgrade one iMac to High Sierra, and try to use the one running Catalina as a TDM display, and things still won't work.

x2 iMac late 2013 running Catalina - How to use one as an extended screen to the other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.