You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Time Machine backup please

Please help with Migration Assistant to back up to earlier state from Time Machine. This is message I get:

this mac already has a user account with the same name as the one you are transferring.

Should I check the box that says

“keep the data from the deleted user in the users file”

Why should I keep this if it uses memory? Thanks very much!

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 6:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 10:54 PM

I'm not quite sure what you are attempting or why, my recommendation is that you call AppleCare and get a tech on the line that can log into your machine and assist. If you don't know the AppleCare phone number for your area please click AppleCare Contact Info. It's either that or book an appointment with your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and bring the computer in to get done what you need.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2023 10:54 PM in response to cactusrose

I'm not quite sure what you are attempting or why, my recommendation is that you call AppleCare and get a tech on the line that can log into your machine and assist. If you don't know the AppleCare phone number for your area please click AppleCare Contact Info. It's either that or book an appointment with your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and bring the computer in to get done what you need.

Jun 11, 2023 7:28 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Sorry about that. Let me try to post a screenshot….I am planning on retrieving everything and all files from a couple of months ago from my Time Machine backup and replacing all those files. While attempting this, the box was already pre checked to “keep the data from the deleted user in the users folder”. Do I need to do this? It seems as though this will use a lot of additional memory on my Mac. Hope this is more clear. Thank you.

Help with Time Machine backup please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.