You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create Bootable USB Ventura: Create Install Media Not Found

I've tried to follow the instructions to create a bootable USB for Ventura.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

When I run the command posted:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

I'm getting an error: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ /Applications/Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyMacOS

sudo: /Applications/Install macOS /Applications/Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

Now when I go directly to the createinstallmedia folder and try to run the command directly, it says it's not found.

Air Resources % ls -ls create*

48 -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   152624 Jun 15 08:00 createinstallmedia

2600 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2590160 Jun 15 08:00 createinstallmedia.dylib

Air Resources % createinstallmedia

zsh: command not found: createinstallmedia

If I click the file directly from the downloaded package, it runs and when I try to run as sudo it doesn't work.

-Air ~ % /Applications/Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia ; exit;

Usage: createinstallmedia --volume <path to volume to convert>

Arguments

--volume, A path to a volume that can be unmounted and erased to create the install media.

--nointeraction, Erase the disk pointed to by volume without prompting for confirmation.

--downloadassets, Download on-demand assets that may be required for installation.

Example: createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

This tool must be run as root.

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Thoughts?

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 2:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 6:31 AM

MrBrewski wrote:

Thank you for your response, I had run the command exactly as written but it didn't work so I added the extra applications. This is the command I used:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Interestingly enough, this does not work on my MacBook Air which I just bought but the command does work on my iMac. I wonder if the M1 chip on the air has something to do with it.

Add the Terminal.app to your Full DIsk Access

>System Settings>Privacy And Security>Full Disk Access

ref: Create a bootable installer for macOS

Select all and copy and paste:

Is it Ventura you are trying to copy(?)

Is the installer in you r Applications folder w/ the default name(?)

If you are unsure of the complete path name for your USB then copy and paste the command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume 

(note the trailing blank space after volume) and then drag and drop the USB onto the Terminal window to complete the path...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2023 6:31 AM in response to MrBrewski

MrBrewski wrote:

Thank you for your response, I had run the command exactly as written but it didn't work so I added the extra applications. This is the command I used:

Interestingly enough, this does not work on my MacBook Air which I just bought but the command does work on my iMac. I wonder if the M1 chip on the air has something to do with it.

Add the Terminal.app to your Full DIsk Access

>System Settings>Privacy And Security>Full Disk Access

ref: Create a bootable installer for macOS

Select all and copy and paste:

Is it Ventura you are trying to copy(?)

Is the installer in you r Applications folder w/ the default name(?)

If you are unsure of the complete path name for your USB then copy and paste the command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume 

(note the trailing blank space after volume) and then drag and drop the USB onto the Terminal window to complete the path...

Jul 1, 2023 6:11 AM in response to Barney-15E

Create Bootable USB Ventura: Create Install Media Not Found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.